Namenda User Reviews

Namenda - User Reviews

Namenda User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Namenda sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: iluvmyemok, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 17

My mother had a hemorraghic stroke with no prior problems with memory or dementia. Four days following the stroke my mother disappeared and an evil twin appeared. Instant and full-on vascular dementia. I heard about this drug for treatment of Alzheimer's and talked to her doctor about it. He said it was exclusively an Alzheimer's drug and had not been tested for vascular dementia. He agreed to a trial since there were no side effects. Three weeks later my mother literally woke up and was my mother. It was like somebody came in and screwed in her light bulb. This drug gave my mother back her LIFE. I have recommended it to others and they have had similar results. An elderly friend of mine had some memory problems and started taking this and no longer has that problem. I would SWEAR by this drug. I got my mother back!!! Her doctor is amazed!

Related Reading: stroke | dementia

Comment from: Sanouar, 45-54 Published: May 15

For the past 8 years I have been a program Coordinator of a program for individuals with Down's Syndrome and whom have Alzheimer's. Every person (12) whom have been given the drug Namenda for treatment have had severe complications and side effects.!

Related Reading: Namenda

Comment from: FooledAgain, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 26

My 83 year old mother started taking this drug(namenda) in mid summer of 2008. Her memory and overall health worsened. The doctor increased her dose and everything went to pieces (bad). In desperation my sister called the doctor and in short told them "forget this". It told several weeks, but my mother finally started to return to "her old ways". This disease (AD) is heartbreaking. We as the children (50+) of these aging parents want to try anything and are easily suckered into believing something "new" may work/help. There is NO cure. Everybody seems to change with this disease differently. Watch the medications carefully, good luck.

Comment from: Nurses Experience with Namenda, 45-54 Published: August 19

As a Hospice nurse, I have dealt with dozens of people, whom, over the years have taken this drug. For some it seems to work, in the middle stages, at least. In the end stages of Dementia/Alzheimers, no drug will do anything to control the symptoms of decline when the patient is unable to take the drug, for whatever reason. My point therefore is, that this is an expensive drug with LOT's of side effects that may be avoided by the use of another, less expensive medication. My thoughts go out to those of you who are checking this medication out because a loved one has just been prescribed it. Read everything, don't write it off too soon. Ask the MD for samples, they generally have some. Arm yourself with all the information and give it a try. Nothing works in the end but it may help in the meantime.

Related Reading: Hospice

Comment from: namenda, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 16

My Mother is more confused now than she was before she started on this junk. I think the Doctors are to quick to medicate when someone has a slight case of Dementia. She is off of it now and were waiting for her to get back to where she was before. She was on the drug 1 month and 1 month to long.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 07

My mother took this drug along with Aricept. She experienced all of the bizarre side effects right away: dizziness, headache, confusion, etc. After researching on the web, I had her stop taking the drug, and she felt much better within a week. People with dementia aren't always able to figure this out!

Related Reading: Aricept | dizziness | headache

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 12

my mother has been taking namenda 5mg twice a day for a few months. I have seen no improvement in memory etc. her short term memory is worse. I am going to stop this medication for my mother.

Comment from: otter486@aol.com, on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 24

My mother can barely walk or speak today. She is NOT tolerating this drug AT ALL, I'm sorry I even tried it. It has made her a zombie. I fear for all those who do not have anyone who can tell that this drug is having an adverse effect on them.

WebMD Daily

Get breaking medical news.