Namenda User Reviews

Namenda - User Reviews

Namenda User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Namenda sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: grace1159, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 27

My dad has had Alzheimer's for a few years. i took care of him at home for 4 years and during this time, he was placed on exelon patch, which affected his heart rate and was discontinued. Then he was put on namenda. he bacame very lethargic to the point of sleeping all the time, no interest in anything and no improvement in his mental status. I told his doctor and i stopped the drug due to the lethargy. he became more alert within a week. Now he is in a nursing hime and he was put on namenda again. I have noticed a decline again in hjis ability to function. Today on visiting him he was so drowsy and speech was slurred. I called his doctor, who in turn called the nurses for a report. Of course, they said he was just fine. he is so medicated, he will not be able to give them any trouble!! I AM GOING TO TRY TO GET HIM OFF THIS DRUG. I know my dad and I am a retired nurse also.He was better off the drug and just because he is in a nursing home does not mean they can medicate him into submission so they do not have to "put up with him". God help me to push this through and get him off it. Oh, he could not even remember his own 3 childrns names now, just since on this medicine. I hate it and I advise family members to check for any medication changes if they notice a change in their loved ones health/mental status for the worse, or better.

Related Reading: exelon patch

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 05

My mother-in-law took this medication for 6 days before becoming completely paranoid, belligerent & impossible to talk to and reason with. Since these weren't side effects listed for this drug & it was Christmas day so her doctor's office was closed we didn't realize what was causing this change in her. The next day when there was no improvement in the way she was acting I contacted her doctor who had us immediately quit giving her this medication. Within 4 days she was back to the way she was before we started her on these pills.

Comment from: 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 18

Within 1 week of use it caused my father to become so belligerent that he was impossible to live with. The day after his doctor said to discontinue treatment, he was back to his pleasant self.

Comment from: LexusBoy, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 08

This drug caused our mother to be hospitalized! She experienced several severe side effects such as: She could not talk, loss her appetite but when she ate she vomit. Also she developed a kidney infection and was dizzy. We are not satisfied with the results of this drug.

Related Reading: kidney infection

Comment from: VeNita K, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 23

My 83 mother suffers from Alzheimer's which is progressing at an alarming rate from moderate to severe. Her Dr. prescribed Namenda. After reviewing comments here, I had reservations but agreed to treatment. Mother had an almost immediate adverse reaction; treatment was discontinued after 4 days. Her reaction included reverting to speaking in her native tongue - Norwegian; refusing to leave the dining room and actually becoming disruptive when asked to do so; extreme weakness in her legs and overall increasd confusion. This drug appears to work better with patients who have memory loss related to surgery, stroke, heart attach or Parkinson's based on reviews submitted. I DO NOT recommend it based on our results.

Comment from: Yuvonne, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 21

The pills are large for an older person to swallow. My mother has moderate AD and we have seen an improvement in her accepting changes however we have not regained any memory function. She does seem more content and happier, so that is worth it for now. Time will tell if it slows the progress of the AD. It was progressing quite quickly up to now.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 17

My doctor saw a comment on television re: using this medication for migraines and knew I suffered from severe migraines for many years. Am now using 5 mg. in the morning and 5 mg. at night. No migraines since the day after starting this medicine 2 months ago. What a relief!

Comment from: Don, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 26

I have dementia associated with PD. Namenda in conjunction with Arecept has significantly improved my mental function. Cognitive skills tests were much better. I do notice a decrease in mental function when I am at the end of the dose, or very tired. However, I am still very satisfied. Before Namenda, I had difficulty functioning at all. I hope it continues to work. I have been on it for 4 months.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 26

In combination with Razadyne, our mother has taken Namenda for over 2 years. It affects her behavior and anxiety so significantly that we can tell within an hour if she has missed a dose. No, it does not improve memory function or fully bring back the mother we knew, but she is more accepting and MUCH less stressed when she is taking it. REcently some ill-advised "professionals" took her off of these drugs for 4 days...she had to be placed on continuous hospice because her anxiety was affecting her heart function. Within 45 minutes of returning the meds to her, she was fully participating in her group home activities and feeding herself. Her attending nurse was amazed! We weren't.

Related Reading: anxiety

WebMD Daily

Get breaking medical news.