Namenda User Reviews

Namenda - User Reviews

Namenda User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Namenda sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Gene, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 05

My friend, aged 94 now, had a complete change of personality within a week due to this drug. We can now talk to her without the anxiety and rage she had before, although her memory hasn't improved, not that we expected it to at this point.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 20

My mother-in-law has been on Namenda for a week and I have seen a decline over the past week that climaxed today. It was like the drug "rocketed" her from moderate to severe Alzheimers in seven days. Tremors, constant sleeping, severely deminished mental capacity, aggitated, has not eaten at all whereas she normally is a "chow hound". Reminds me of how doctors prescribe anti-depressants for whatever ails you regardless of how many suicides and murders result from it. LAZY DOCTORS-CROOKED DRUG COMPANIES.

Related Reading: Tremors

Comment from: lorra573, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 23

Blood pressure in my patient went from 120/75 to 158/102 in three days. I stopped giving this medication and pressure returned to within normal limits in two days.

Comment from: jburton33@aol.com, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 12

Namenda didn't help my father at all. He complained with his back hurting,dizziness had hallucations,blood pressure was high, couldn't eat,hepatic liver. I wouldn't recommed this drug at all.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 09

I am a caregiver for Mom who is 81 and suffering from severe Dementia. She just began taking this medication (3 weeks) with Aricept, which sje has taken for a year. She was sleeping a lot when she first began taking it but today she was speaking and laughing cognitively, which she hasn't done in months. Her eyes are focused and she doesn't have that far away look. I have read many of the reviews here and I encourage people to at least try it as it seems to depend on the individual.

Comment from: WishingICouldHelpMore, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 19

My dad, 81 and diagnosed with moderate Alzheimer's, was prescribed Namenda in June 2010. He had been depressed for several years and wasn't the most physically fit person--Type 2 Diabetes, Gout, Heart disease, high blood pressure and cholesterol, all being controlled by prescribed medication. As he took the starter-month pack of Namenda, I noticed heightened aggitation and frustration. However, as he's now leveled off to 10MG in morning and 10 MG at night, I feel his demeanor has softened. He will occasionally smile or laugh, occasionally participate in conversation but often still has that "vacant look" on his face, which he also had before beginning Namenda. As for memory, I do not believe he has gotten worse, but don't know if Namenda has been responsible for this or not. I am often amazed when he can come up with the name of a former student he had 40 years ago, but struggles to find the correct word for lawn sprinkler ("water thing"). There have been no negative side effects for my dad with taking Namenda. To everyone out there, from those directly experiencing Alz. to those who are caregivers, have faith, stay positive and believe that one day a cure will be found. Good luck to everyone!

Related Reading: Diabetes | Gout | Heart disease

Comment from: disgusted, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 27

i am taking my mother off this drug today. she has been hospitalized twice this weekend unable to swallow is agitated and helpless heart pounding leg rash it took an internet search to finally discover what is wrong, the pharmacist a trip to the PCP and 2 trips to emergency were useless. memory is worse thinks she is going to die. I want my mother back NOW

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: Caregiving Daughter , 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 18

My mother is in the 4th week of the starter pack. She is now very confused about the simplest things and can't remember what she did just seconds before. Her urine is dark and smelly. She takes off her Depend underwear and forgets to put another on. She feels so itchy, she scratches till she bleeds. She doesn't want to eat, and is always very tired. This all escalated within the last few days. I thought her dementia was bad before, but this is much worse! No more Namenda for her. I'm hoping she will soon be back to where she was.

WebMD Daily

Get breaking medical news.