Nardil User Reviews

Nardil - User Reviews

Nardil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Nardil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: ddnos, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 26

I've been taking Nardil for about 17 years -have tried to go off it spuratically 3-4 times mainly to avoid drug and food interactions, but each time, had to go back on Nardil. My doctor and I finally agreed that there was no sense stop taking something that has worked. I won't be going off Nardil anytime soon; it has literally been a life saver!

Comment from: jg, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 16

After trying everything else my psychiatrist put me on phenelzine, the generic for Nardil. It worked! I can easily handle the dietary restrictions. My only negative comment is the weight gain that others have commented on. I also hate it!

Comment from: babcent, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been taking Nardil for about 10 years. Almost everything else was tried. It worked extremely well in the first few years. However, my depression continued to get worse after a couple years. Was put on Xanax and Remeron. I know Nardil and Remeron shouldn't be used together, but it worked. Then I went on Seroquel also. The 4 worked well together. However, the weight gain was awful. Then, my blood sugar was very high. Found out, Seroquel can cause diabetes. Went slowly off of that. Then tired Abilify. After 2 weeks on it, I totally lost 2 days of my life, no memory and totalled a car. Got totally checked for a stroke. No stroke. What was the cause? Probably Abilify. Be careful, it's a scarey drug. Now I am in big trouble. Only 2 drugs I haven't tried. One 25% of the time causes hair loss and the other can have a deadly rash. I already have 0 Stage Melanoma. Am scared of any rash. Sometimes I feel like I am in big trouble.

Related Reading: Xanax | Remeron | Seroquel

Comment from: marylou329, 75 or over on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 20

I was first prescribed Nardil in 1961 for depression. Several times I weaned off at the instruction of a doctor and prescribed other anti-depressants. In fact, I have been on nearly every one on the market. Each time, I went back on Nardil because it works. In recent years, I also suffer from aghoraphobia, which made it difficult to leave home. I am again taking Nardil for the past 18 months. I started on 15 mg.; raised to 1 1/2 pills per day. My primary care doctor prescribed Ambien for sleep, which is working great, as well. I feel each person's case is different and the effects of medication act differently. I am sticking with Nardil cause it works for me.

Related Reading: Ambien

Comment from: Qwacker, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 11

I have been using Nardil since 1993. At age 45, I had a full blown panic attack after having suffered stoically most of my life, trying to fix "my problem". I also had "High Achiever" tendancies. The root cause of my suffering was social anxiety and it's partner, depression. After trying several SSRIs with no success, my Psychiatrist suggested "The Big Gun"......"Nardil". The combination of Nardil and Ativan worked like a miracle for me. Nardil was used successfully in Europe for many years before it was introduced into the US. It's a shame most US Doctors do not know much about it. For the right patient (Me!), it is literally a lifesaver. I have not had any adverse food reactions in 18 years, and plan to continue on Nardil for the rest of my life.

Related Reading: Ativan

Comment from: happynardil, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 15

I've been on this drug for 20 years. It's the best thing I have taken. I went off of it for about a year trying literally everything on the market. Nothing worked for me; except Celexa, but I had such bad memory problems is was not worth it. After going back to Nardil my life returned. I will never go off of it again. It's very sad to me that most doctor's do not even discuss it with their patients. It's a miracle drug and the fact that it has been around for so many years, only proves it's effectiveness and safety in spite of the diet restrictions.

Related Reading: Celexa

Comment from: 87_blueangel, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 03

Being depressed since childhood, I had no idea what it felt like to be "normal". Doctors kept asking me if I was depressed and I would respond "no, I feel like I have felt my whole life. Wish I had not been born but decided that this was the way life was meant for me and managed to survive." Although I was considered brilliant and won many scholastic awards, I had no self-confidence. It wasn't until I was over forty years old, that a doctor insisted I try an antidepressent. He picked Nardil. After four to six weeks, EVERYONE noticed a change in me. People wouldcomment that they never saw me smile before. Never had any side effects (except in me, it could build up in my blood and I would end up in a manic state). I learned to sense when I was becoming manic and would discontinue use for two days and then go back to normal dosage. Miracle drug. Have nothing nice to say about the ssri's. Have been taking for over 20 years.