Neupogen User Reviews

Neupogen - User Reviews

Neupogen User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Neupogen sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: winner08, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 20

I injected myself, stomache area, six times from Tuesday through Sunday. My White count was very low. Tuesday night was bad. Pelvic area and lower back pain. Wednesday and Thurs bad too. Started taking 1/2 Percacette twice a day. This seemed to help. Recommend premedicating before shot to downgrade the side effects.

Related Reading: lower back pain

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 16

I inject Neupogen 3 times a week, and do not like the shot. My white count is stable, and that makes it tolerable. I am on 1000mg Ribiviran daily and Pegasys injection for Hep C. These two drugs caused my decrease in white count.

Related Reading: Pegasys

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 03

I have a condtion that cause me to have low white blood cell and i have to take this inj every other day until the condtion goes away which they don't if it evey will so my experience my diffent than other it very painfull my bone hurt and the vain in theplase i give them in become very blue

Comment from: Pete, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 27

On Aug 15,2012, I was unable to have chemo treatment due to low neutrophils in white blood cells. I was given the first shot of neupogen, followed by 2nd and 3rd on following 2 days. After the first shot, I had severe pain in lower back, as well as, pain in other joints. I felt terrible in general, with swelling in some joints and low grade fever. I took hydrocodon-acetaminophen 5-500 to relieve pain. The pain subsided in 3 days. I found side effects of neupogen worse than neulasta. I had chemo again the following two weeks when neutrophils were low again. My Oncologist decided to give 4 neupogen shots spread over 4 days rather than 3 days. It worked beautifully. I just finished the 4th shot yesterday and feel fine. I feel tired and a little weak, but no pain medication was necessary during the 4 days. If not for neupogen, I would not be able to have chemo as my immune system was too low. I am grateful for neupogen and neulasta (which I have had in the past). They do the job of restoring neutrophils in white blood cells which allows me to have chemo to kill cancer cells. The question is do I want to suffer a little to achieve my goal of having chemo to extend my life? Yes! I do.

Related Reading: fever | neulasta

Comment from: luv2fly, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 26

Been on injections every other day for almost a year. I am a flight attendant for a living so when I work I am subjected to all kinds of bacteria and germs. This drug has been a life saver for me as when I was younger in the 80's I would be in isolation in the hospitol over and over since back then nothing could raise your white count. It has enabled me to have a normal life without becoming deathly ill. (Which happened prior to this drug.) I find that the lower my count is, the more I feel the side effects. So at times it is worse than others.Nothing too bad, just headache and some pelvic pain. This starts about 5-6 hours after I inject. It is aways gone by morning. As long as I stick to my schedule I do well. I can inject better with larger syringes as they hold more and I can inject it faster. The insulin syringes are more awkward...but are free with the script! Just make sure you always take your shot out of the fridge about 20 min before you inject it as it doesn't sting as much when it is room temp.

Comment from: flygirl, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 22

Take injections every other day. Late in day start to get a "distinct" headache. Just get slight muscle pain and pelvic pain. Interestingly, have two small places that look like a rash, one on each hand, that Dr. says is from the drug. This isn't bad but never goes away. HATE giving myself the shots.....plus I travel for a living so it is a hassle keeping the vials chilled!

Related Reading: muscle pain | rash

Comment from: almac, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 27

In 1994 a blood test revealed an almost zero neutraphil count from unknown causes but which was eventually attributed to "auto-immune neutrapenia". Neupogen was prescribed in 1995 and I have been on it ever since then. At present an inj of 1 cc twice a week maintains my blood count within acceptable limits

Comment from: El Guapo, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 03

No side effects.