Nexium User Reviews

Nexium - User Reviews

Nexium User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Nexium sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Muffin, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 29

I was diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia. Tried 40 mg or Prevacid and broke out in a severe rash after 3 weeks. Switched to Nexium 40 mg and after a couple of months it made me bloated with stomach cramps. Now on 20 mg and still extremely bloated with stomach pooch but less cramps. Anyone else have this problem?

Related Reading: hiatal hernia | Prevacid | rash

Comment from: Mary Jane, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 07

I've been on Nexium for 3 years now and am a postmenapausal woman age 55. I've recently had a compression fracture not related to any injury and found out that even though I take calcium and Vitamin D supplements, it is not being absorbed due to the Nexium. In addition, I have gained weight since starting Nexium and was told that it is your stomach acids that break down fat from your diet and Nexium interferes with how that fat is metabolized. Wondering if there are still more clinical studies being done on this drug? These side effects are not mentioned in Nexium's official list of side effects.

Related Reading: fracture

Comment from: MSPAMZZ^, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 16

HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHY IT IS THAT ALL OF THE GASTROENTEROLOGIST WANT TO SCOPE OR ENDOSCOPY YOU BUT NONE OF THEM EVER CHECK YOU FOR THE H. PYLORI BACTERIA WHICH IS WHAT CAUSES YOUR STOMACH TO PRODUCE EXCESSIVE GAS AND ACID? THAT IS RIGHT, BACTERIA, NOT THE GOOD KIND BUT THE KIND THAT EATS AWAY THE GOOD AND LEAVES THE LINING OF THE STOMACH VULNERABLE TO BACTERIAL INFECTION. THIS CAUSES GAS, BLOATING, DIARRHEA, CONSTIPATION, HEARTBURN, ETC. ACIDOPHILUS IS A GREAT REMEDY FOR THAT ONCE A DAY BUT YOU NEVER KNOW THAT UNTIL THOUSANDS OF MEDICATIONS THAT TAKE AWAY THE ACIDS LATER. I AM ON NEXIUM AND JUST HAD TO MAKE MY DOC EVEN TEST ME FOR THE H. PYLORI BACTERIA WHICH HE SAYS IS POSITIVE. NOW HE WANTS TO GIVE ME ANTIBIOTICS BUT CANNOT SINCE I HAVE TO BE OFF OF THE NEXIUM TO GIVE MY ACID TIME TO REPLENISH SO I WONT GET SICKER THAN I AM AND MISS WORK. THREE YEARS TO LATE WOULDN'T YOU THINK...... WELL, WELL, WELL.........

Related Reading: DIARRHEA | CONSTIPATION

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 04

Started taking this medicine for abdominal pain and bloating syptoms of GERD. Shortly after starting felt like something lodged in throat. Still have abdominal discomfort and gas. Anyone experience these side effects?

Related Reading: abdominal pain

Comment from: Kat, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 25

I have tried the otc and generic drugs, also the Prevacid. None of them work as well for me, even though with my insurance I can get them much cheaper or free, they just don't help me like the nexium does. The only real side affect that I seem to have is diahrea, and that seems to be less of a problem, perhaps as my body seems to be adjusting to the nexium.I am told by my doctor that I will probably have to take it for the rest of my life. That doesn't sit well with me since it is supposed to be the healing pill, but I'm told it will only heal so much.

Comment from: unosandra@bellsouth.net, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 01

After taking this drug twice a day for 5 years I have lost most of the hair on my head. I quit taking it and my hair quite falling out so bad for a few months the Doctor said take at least once daily and my hair is falling out again. It works great for the reflux bad for hair and bones. After stopping it does not come back. I now have ostoepenia as well. Before taking I had the bones of a 20 year old and they asked what I did to have such strong bones. I'm going to stop this medicine.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 20

I was on Prilosec for GERD and then switched to Nexium 40 mg when Prilosec went OTC. I took it for about 3 years and in that time I gained a lot of weight. Last year, my ins. co. changed me to Protonix. I lost about 15 lbs over about a year and felt it did a good job. My ins. co. changed me back to Nexium about 45 days ago and I have already gained about 5 lbs. I wish ins. cos. would let the Dr. decide what suits each individual. I noted that one responder mentioned weight gain. I'd like to hear if anyone else has experienced it. I also wonder if Nexium interferes with my thyroid meds which is supposed to speed up my metabolism. Nexium does work thouhg.

Related Reading: Prilosec | Protonix