NuvaRing User Reviews

NuvaRing - User Reviews

NuvaRing User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication NuvaRing sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: mgutierrez13, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 14

I have been using NuvaRing for over a year now. It was awkward and a bit tricky the first couple of times inserting it, but I got the hang of it. It has been very effective in preventing pregnancy, and I'm glad it lasts all month as opposed to the Pill (which I could never remember to take daily.) My only complaints are the cramping I experience up to a week before I get my period, and the moodiness, headaches, severe cramping, and body aches I get during my period. I never experienced these symptoms with my period before I was on the NuvaRing. Another undesirable side effect is the decline in my sex drive. I have little to no interest, and when I do try to get myself in the mood I have a difficult time "getting ready" and often have to resort to using a lubricant (and I'm only 27... this shouldn't be a problem.)It's working for now, but I am researching other options.

Comment from: sal, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 17

I absolutely love Nuvaring. Like most of you, I was very hesitant to try it due to all of the negative reviews (which is why I am writing this review). On Nuvaring I have had none of the awful side effects that I experienced with the combo pill (weight gain, bloating, anxiety, moodiness, depression). This is because Nuvaring has a very low dose of hormones (but there's no spotting like some low hormone pills). At first I did feel it a bit (it felt a little like a tampon) but now I don't even notice it. I have never had it slip out. One thing that freaked me out a little from reading reviews was hair loss, but I have not experienced this at all so don't worry. So long as you are young, healthy, and don't smoke, you should be fine on this product. I recommend it to anyone!

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: AshleeDavis, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 08

I had been using this method for about three+ years and loved it. But recently i went to the hospital for severe abdominal pain. Seven hours after arriving (by ambulance,)they found blood clots caused by the Ring. It was the perfect method for me. Now i can't be on brth control unless it's an iud. And even then i can't have them implant it for at least six more months or i could bleed to death. I also might not even be able to get pregnant again, thanks to the ring. Wouldn't be too horrible considering i have two very healthy girls already, but still. I am only twenty and could very well die thanks to using the ring. Watch out for abnormal things going on with your body when on this med. I really don't think anybody should be using this as there are way too many women sufferin, or even dying because of it. I've researched this alot since being diagnosed with DVT Blood Clots, and the odds of getting a bad reaction are higher than you'd think. I'd hate to see someone else going through this, because of not knowing. When this came out they didn't state all the true side effects. I went on this form of Birth Control because it was easier than any other, and i could safely have sex on it. Now i can't have sex at all for who knows how long.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | blood clots

Comment from: Zara, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 29

The Ring is the best birth control I've tried yet, but after 8 months, I'm ready to try something new. THE GOOD: I can just put it in and forget about it; no irrational moodiness or crying spells; no negative affect on libido; slight increase in cup size after a few months. THE BAD (And why I'm switching): I have gained 15 lbs. despite a very healthy diet and active lifestyle; my face has taken on a plump appearance; I'm thin but since starting the Ring my belly looks like I'm in the earliest stage of pregnancy, occasional nausea and lethargy THE UGLY: My face has broken out uncontrollably to the point I'm on a prescription for it. This developed about 4 months after starting the Ring. I am starting Yaz in a few days to see if it helps with my bloating and acne.

Related Reading: Yaz | acne

Comment from: momof2, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 24

I feel at ease after reading what other users have experiences. I have also experienced more headaches, tiredness and cramping and I have never cramped before. I am small, but my breasts also seem a little larger. I also have had weight gain and its all in my belly which really freaks me out because it makes me think I have a baby bump! My periods are a lot lighter and shorter. Almost nothing at all even in the beginning. I think I would rather have longer stronger periods then these side effects. I am going back to the pill!

Published: February 09

I went on the nuvaring in August and I love it. I don't have side-effects like with the pill. Since my boyfriend and I recently started going without a condom sometimes, I don't think I can give how effective the nuvaring is by itself, but with condoms we've never had a problem. My face cleared up (except for when I get my period), and my boobs went up from a B to a D. I haven't had any weight pain or mood changes. My period is regular about like when I first got it. I can pin-point it to the hour every month. I have my cell calendar alert me as to when to put my new one in and take it out. I don't feel it and neither does my boyfriend. It never fell out, though it does get push further up my vagina so I have to pull it back down after sex. But overall, I love it.