Omnicef User Reviews

Omnicef - User Reviews

Omnicef User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Omnicef sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: trulyblessed, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 12

My 10 month old daughter was prescribed this for an ear infection after amoxicilin didn't work. SHE REACTED HORRIBLY TO THIS DRUG. About 2 hours after giving her 1st dose she became incrdibly cranky and tired, refused to eat, and went to bed quite early. She woke up at 3:30 AM with a 101.8 degree fever that Tylenol struggled to get rid of. I gave her a 2nd dose and same reaction again except this time it was accompanied by a awful diaper rash. Sores, inflamed red skin, it was bad and it took a long time to heal. One side effect that apprently is harmless is very red stools. This shocked me! I thought she was bleeding! But she wasnt. It also caused her tummy to hurt. I will NEVER allow my daughter to take this drug ever again. She is on cefprozil and is having no reaction to it. I will be so glad when this infection clears and we won't have to deal with it anymore. They say the pros of cefdinir is that you only have to give it once a day and it tastes the best... well i would much rather give my daughter a med twice a day and put fruit in it to make it taste better than to give her this drug that really caused an upset after just ONE DOSE. I should have not given her the 2nd dose but her pediatrician urged me to. After the 2nd and the same reaction with that rash I went and got a 2nd opinion and a different antibiotic.

Related Reading: ear infection | fever | Tylenol

Comment from: 3-6 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 03

**Severe allergic reaction with swelling, painful joints** My 6 year old was prescribed Cefdinir (generic for Omnicef) for an ear infection. 4mL twice a day. She took the first dose on a Tuesday night, second dose Wednesday morning. Wednesday late afternoon she started complaining her right foot hurt to walk on. By bedtime the top of her foot looked like half a golf ball was under her skin. It only got worse from there. The swelling starten in her other foot, knees, elbows, lower back, back of wrists and bottom part of her ribs. Then she started with a rash on her feet than went up to her knees. All her joints hurt and she couldn't even walk or put on a shirt. Thankfully we caught it in time and she is on steroids to fix it and is doing much better so far. I wish that this reaction would have been listed, as I searched the internet I was amazed at how many other users experienced the same thing.

Related Reading: Omnicef | rash

Comment from: mom of three, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 06

My 7 year old daughter had a severe allergic reaction after taking omnicef for nine days. After being off of the medication for 6 days she developed serum sickness. This resulted in very painful swolen joints and difficulty walking. My intention is that other parents will read this and just pay attention and look out for the signs and symptoms of allergic reaction.

Comment from: Giverup, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 29

I've just recently completed my 10th day of this medication. I'm not recommending this medication,due to the side effects I experience while taking this drug. I've taken cephalosporins before and never had a problem. After taking this medication I feel worstc than prior this drug therapy. I was given this medication due to a sinus infection, however after a few days My tongue and throat became extremely sore, and my symptoms got worst I didn't improve. The roof of my mouth became irritated and sore. My tongue and throat felt inflamed. I called my PCP office and asked them to call me in Diflucan thinking the irritation in my mouth was possibly due to a yeast infection. Aa if the above symptoms weren't emough,I started having some breathing diffilty and had to elevate my head on pillows to help make breathing easier. No I never smoked nor am I around anyone that smokenver been diagnose with any respiratory problems. I do have seasonal allergies, howeever nothihg serious that an over the counter medication wouldn't take care of. In essence after taking this drug I don't recommend this antibiotic. I'm making appointment with my PCP to inform him of present symptoms and that I will never take this drug again.

Comment from: Kat, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 07

Took second round of Omnifec RELIGIOUSLY, and on the sixth day I experienced a severe reaction to this medication. Went to ER with shortness of breath and hives on lateral parts of my body. Administered Epi, steroids, and pepcid and released. 24 hours later, back in ER with hives all over my body, shortness of breath, swelling of face, lips, and tongue. Extreme itching, which an allergist stepped in an prescribed an anit-itch med with sedative, to help control. Spent five days in hospital dealing with this. Released with steroids, anti-itch med, and anti-depressant. Face and body still reacting itching, but not as severe. No word as to how long till the omnicef is out of my system. Will NEVER take this medication again! Horrible experience!

Related Reading: hives | pepcid | itching