Orencia User Reviews

Orencia - User Reviews

Orencia User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Orencia sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: JoAnn, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 01

I am on Orencia for 11 month now. First 9 month I felt much better, stiffness and pain were manageable. The only thing is: I was always thin and now I am 25 pd heavier. My RA Dr tells me that she did not see anyone gaining weight on this drug, but I do not believe. I met so many people who complain about same thing. And because I gained so much weight I developed high BP. I had to say good bye to 90/60 (for all 55 years) and now I am 165/100 for most of the time. Plus, for the last 3 month I developed bad side effects: sore throat, thrush, severe sweating,swollen glands, dizziness, severe pains all over my body especially my legs, hands and feet. I am very unhappy about this treatment and will definitely ask my DR to switch me to something else. I was on Enbrel shots, they did not make me sick, but did not help at all. I was also on Prednisone + Meth. I was sick, but at least I did not gained any weight, in fact I lost. My Dr says that i have to choose if I want to feel better or worry about my weight. I think this is wrong, because having high BP from gaining weight is a killer for me, I have heart condition. So what good does it do to me if instead of RA only, I also get other health issues from it? The whole situation is very disappointing to me. Sorry, I wish to give you better news, but i believe we come here to get right information so I am honestly give you my personal opinion. All the best to all of you!

Related Reading: sore throat | thrush | dizziness

Comment from: Carole, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 27

I consistently wore a size 4 and blasted through wearing a size 6. Now I wear an 8 or 10 or 12. I gained approximately 35 pounds since April 2009 which is when I began Orencia. I do not have any other side effects. I don't know when the gaining of weight will end so I may stop taking this drug. I am miserable because of the weight gain.

Comment from: SaraLConverse, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 02

I've been on Orencia 7 months and notice that my swollen joints have subsided.... but after the first treatment, I got sores in my mouth that went away but then my face broke out with a rash that comes and goes, but never really goes away... it looks like I have a bad diaper rash on my face around my mouth, nose, and it is now affecting my eyes..people do look strange at me now. Doctor says I should keep trying for another 3 months... Anyone else have the same reactions? I've had R/A for 22 years....

Related Reading: rash | diaper rash

Comment from: Sunny, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 27

I've been taking Orencia for about eight months now. Still have some pain, but no swelling. No side effects. I do experience fatigue and depression but that could be from having the R.A. Was hoping that the Orencia would help more with the pain. My medicare insurance does pay for this. I am running out of options as the med insurance will only pay for IV infusions and not the shots like Embrel or Humira. I tried Remicade and it was wonderful! I felt human again and was able to do most everything but like so many others I became allergic to it. I hope this review helps someone. All the Best!

Related Reading: fatigue | depression

Comment from: mininator@hotmail.com, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 27

Pain is not controlled. Program is underdeveloped. Using the in home care infusion program and they don't show up, or call. The medicine is having so far about a 68% success rate with all joints but wrists and elbows. Wouldn't advise starting the program until they are able to accomodate the patients they currently have.

Comment from: Carole, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 12

This site has enlightened me. I have gained 35 pounds and feel am out of my mind! Nothing fits and I now feel horrible because of my weight! I am so tired of trade offs and the expense of all of it. I just want to get off of everything. I have hired a personal trainer but will I be shoveling $$ against the tide because of Orencia?? I do feel more energetic; my hands feel swollen but useful; my feet hurt; RA MD thinks we are on the right path. Unbelievable...I was not aware weight gain could occur on Orencia. The drug is expensive; new clothing every few months, ai yi yi; a personal trainer $$$$. I am now depressed!!

Comment from: SKC, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 24

I am 56 years old. Was diagnosed with RA in '93, Crohn's Disease in '91, MS in '89. I have taken Methotrexate since '93. I tried Remicade but stopped because my BP would bottom out each time. Also tried Humira but stopped after 1st treatment due to an alergic reaction-my arms felt like they were on fire or filled with hot lead, and then it began to spread to my legs and spine. I just took my 8th Orencia treatment and the only improvement I see is that I am sleeping more than 2 hours before the pain wakes me. I don't feel as fatigued, but the pain is still horrendous. I have gained 15 lbs., have a recurring itching rash all over my face, and a recurring yeast infection in the folds of my skin. I always have a nagging cough and a bitter aftertaste for about a week after the treatments. I haven't been able to find anything to control the bad breath or heartburn. I promised my Dr. I would stick it out for 6-8 treatments, which I have done. I don't think the price is justified, nor the claims the drug makes. I wonder if it is just another selling hype by the drug company. I wish the best of luck to anyone who tries Orencia or any of the other drugs I mentioned. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I do believe that Methotrexate has been the most help to me, but alas, it seems to have lost it's strength. Thus the reason for trying others. May God help us all to find a relief from this nightmare, and in the meantime, may he help the Dr's and the drug companies who continue to help us conquer the diseases that seek to destroy our lives. So try what you must, and GOOD LUCK!

Related Reading: Crohn's Disease | itching | yeast infection

Arthritis

Get the latest treatment options