OsmoPrep User Reviews

OsmoPrep - User Reviews

OsmoPrep User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication OsmoPrep sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 01

I weigh 125lbs, and I got away with taking only 16 out of the 32 pills. I think the pills were horrible and it was really tough to have to sit there ant take them every 15 minutes. It is great to be nauseous, starving, tired and weak, and have to chuck down pills every 15 minutes...JUNK!!

Comment from: stlman, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 29

My expectations were mixed for this drug after reading all the online comments about patients becoming sick and/or other reactions. This is the first time I've gone for a colonoscopy, I am a 34 year old male that weighs around 195 lbs. My doctor wanted one done due to family history. I have no known health issues. I took the first 20 pills with very little reaction, my stomach started to rumble a little and make noises almost like I was hungry. I made sure that I had lots to drink (Gatorade & water) before, during and after the pill sequence. I don't think I ever put down my jug of water while taking the first 20 sequence. About 70 minutes after the first set of pills I had to use the bathroom 3 times in 20 minutes but it was not too bad. Again my stomach kept making noises but no real pain. I think all the water I drank was making me feel a little bloated but that was it, no other side effects. After taking the second set of 12 the bathroom visits really started in. I probably had to go every 5-10 minutes for an hour straight. I kept drinking water but it seemed to go straight through on the trips to the bathroom. Again at this time I felt none of the symptoms described by others, mostly just kind of a "blah" feeling if that makes sense. For all I know it could have been the fasting that made me feel this way. My appointment was for 1:30 the next afternoon so I took my pills at 5 and 9pm, I was able to sleep from midnight until 6:30am with no trips to the bathroom. I had to make 2 trips the next morning but that was it. So compared to others I thought the pills were great, again its a little hard to tell what's worse the fasting or overall prepping. After the procedure I experienced no adverse effects from the pills and felt 100% back to normal the following day. I did not give 5 stars on the last two categories simply because this was my first colonoscopy and I have no other baseline to compare against.

Comment from: Nette, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 19

I could not drink even one glass of the gallon colon prep! Using the pill method was so easy and you can drink liquids that taste good to you! I had my colonoscopy yesterday & it all went great!

Comment from: Jan, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 18

I had undiagnosed hypthyroidism at the time I was perscribed OsmoPrep for a colonoscopy. I had a very bad reaction after the first dose of pills and ended up in Intensive Care for 2 days, which is when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. If you have any kind of medical condition or if a particular condition runs in your family (my dad has hypothroidism), read up on this medication before you take it. (People with hypothroidism should not take this medication.) It's been almost a year and I can't put off doing the test much longer. I'm going with the liquid only so hopefully all will go well.

Related Reading: hypothyroidism

Comment from: jerseygirl, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 08

I was prescribed this medication for my first colonoscopy. Had no idea what to expect but felt lucky I didn't have to drink the liquid after hearing about it from others. Instructions were to consume 32 pills; 20 within one hour (4 pills every 15 minutes)the night before the procedure and 12 pills 5 hours prior to the procedure. Started the pills at 7:00 p.m. the night before. Had no problem getting them down with a cold 8oz glass of water using a straw each time. Got a horrible headache almost immediately and felt nauseous but did not get sick. Had a few bouts of diarrhea about 45 minutes after the first dose but was able to sleep from 9:00 - 11:30 p.m. After that, I didn't sleep all night, running to the bathroom almost constantly. Consumed the last 12 pills starting at 3:00 a.m. Had to be at the SurgiCenter at 7:30 a.m. and was still running to the bathroom once I got there. Lots of intense cramping all the way through the process. Not a pleasant experience at all. Received an "Excellent" rating from the Dr. on my prep work so the pills definitely did the job. I am still cramping the day after the procedure and have had a few loose BM's. I am only able to eat very small amounts; my stomach isn't quite back to normal.

Related Reading: headache | diarrhea

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 01

For my 3rd colonoscopy, I chose Osmoprep so I could just drink water or tea instead of that great quantity of one, rather sweet liquid. After the firt round of 5 doses, I was naseous, headachy, and miserable. The fact the I vomited just before time to start the final round was the only thing that enabled me to finish. Felt OK in the morning and test was uneventful. Another round of nausea hit last night after walking from bedroom to kitchen. OK on waking the morning after, but still am a little off-balance. Won't repeat this one. FYI: weight 130, age 67.

GI Disorders