Ovide User Reviews

Ovide - User Reviews

Ovide User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Ovide sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: BarbaraJ1980, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 25

My 9 year old daughter had OTC resistant head lice. I tried everything under the sun to rid our house of them. She was prescribed ovide as a last resort and it killed them all. She's been head lice free for well over a year. The only drawback is it smells TERRIBLE!! It burned my eyes just applying it to her head but she had no side effects and it killed the little monsters with no follow up application needed...

Related Reading: head lice | ovide

Comment from: mbb, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 14

This medicine works wonders for lice! I have used several different kids of OTC lice products to no avail. I have 4 kids who always seem to bring home lice a few times a year. We had it 1 time almost 2 months. Finally the doctor gave us ovide and I was amazed it work so well, it's been 2 years now and no lice here.

Comment from: debbie7304e, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 08

We tried unsucessfully for years to get rid of our problem and nothing worked. We tried Ovide and it worked great. We didn't even need to use a fine tooth comb afterward to get rid of the nits. They came out on the own over the next few days with regular brushing. I was so impressed with this medicine. We had fought and won small battles but nothing worked for very long. We used this in 2001 and have not had any come back. As soon as one of my kids says that a classmate has headlice, I call the doc for a prescription because I know it will work. Thanks!

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 08

I have had head lice present in my home for 6 mos. now. I have 3 children and began the battle last spring. ('08) I did otc, ordered products off of the internet, and finally told my pediatrician I would sleep on his steps if he did'nt perscribe something! I have used Ovide twice on my entire family, and each time we find nits again. I wash bedding, clothes, boil brushes, the money and time spent on this battle has been unbelievable, and we still have them!!!

Comment from: blondeforever721, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 07

My husband and I tried everything and Ovide was recommended by the doctor, we used it twice. We still have them(the lice). My hair is falling out and we no longer no what to do. The side effects are terrible.

Comment from: Waveguy, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 26

Most often lack of success with Malathion is a result of improper application and use. The hair should be completely dry when applied. A regular comb (not the nit comb) should be used to spread the medicine. If you keep combing it will evenly distribute. Comb slowly and start from the bottom on the back if the hair has snarles. Heaviest conentration of medicine should be above and behind the ears continuing behind the head. Once even thorought the entire head, let the medicine stay in the hair for at least 8 hours. Once all the snarles are out and the hair combs smoothly it wouldn't hurt to use the nit comb to improve your odds. While the medicine is in the hair is the best time to change all the bedding and wash all the laundry. Remember the heat of the drier is what kills the live lice. You can store stuffed animals and unwashables in plastic bags for two weeks. Vacuum all the carpeted floors also. The lice can't live without food and the nits will die within an hour if they are not on a human head. Repeat the bedding/laundry wash and malathion treatment 5 to 7 days later. Check out the information on the CDC's website: http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/gen_info/faqs_malathion.html

Comment from: BuckeyeGirlTammy, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 31

After several weeks riding the "lice merry-go-round", using Rid and Nix, nitpicking, vacuuming, bagging and washing everything and everyone in the house, I finally heard about Rx Ovide. It is a miracle drug!! Although the smell is atrocious (I think the lice commit suicide at first whiff), I will gladly have all my kids smell like Pine-Sol than to suffer head lice infestation again. The best thing about Ovide is that it also kills the nits. This is vitally important in the battle against lice, particularly if you're self-treating and have no one willing to diligently pick nits out of your hair. I treated my nephew's hair first. This medication is so strong that as I was applying it to the first section of his head, I looked down at my hand and discovered two dead bugs. It killed them on first contact. He also had many fewer nits after we washed his hair 12 hours later. I would recommend applying around 2 hours or so before bedtime to allow it time to dry in your hair and to put a towel down to protect pillowcase. I had to wash hair twice in morning to remove all of the product but had the added benefit of an oil treatment, which my hair so desperately needed after using the drying pesticides. If the kids ever bring lice home from school again, I'll use Ovide first rather than last.. My doc and pharmacist both said that that the lice in our area is resistant to OTC treatment. Our pediatrician is recommending Sklice for younger kids and Ovide for older kids.. Both kill eggs and you don't have to remove nits, though why anyone would want to leave them is beyond me..

Related Reading: suicide | Sklice