Parnate User Reviews

Parnate - User Reviews

Parnate User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Parnate sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Whiskerscat, 45-54 Published: January 17

Being on Parnate since 1989 I don't have any problem with watching the foods I eat. Since it is the only medication that will work for me, I will continue to take it. It's just a shame that more medical professionals aren't up to date on MAOI's. Not even the most current meds of the 2000's have worked in my case.

Related Reading: Parnate

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 20

i have been depressed since age 16-am now 49. since the 1980s started talk therapy, while completing college and working as a cardiac nurse-i was active and useful despite my moods, but by 1996, in my late 30s, i began to be hopitalized in psych units and hospitals-lost count, can you believe, but it was at least ten times, each worse than the last. my depression has always had a strong anxiety component which became more and more distressing as i got older. i was placed on a long list of antidepressants, none of which worked-benzodiazepines for anxiety, also many kinds-didn't help-was briefly treated for bipolar and those meds did nothing except make me fat. meanwhile, i continued talk therapy, went to 12 steps, church, outpatient programs, groups-nothing worked. by 2001 the anxiety had become crippling, with panic attacks-i went from nursing to less challenging jobs but could barely do even those-was in fear, racing thoughts, obssessive thoughts-one doc tried an ocd med with no effect. in 2001 a psychiatreist tried parnate-i started it on a friday, by monday all of my depressive, anxious symptoms were gone and as of jan. 2009 have not come back-no kidding, it was a breathtaking miracle. i've been through many life experiences on parnate, even had a hypertensive crisis once caused by carelessness, which i treated at home with no ill effects. i just have to avoid aged cheeses, take it easy with soy sauce, and be careful with other meds-small price to pay. i don't drink so no worries there. no side effects except maybe a slight decrease in appetite-nice since most other meds made me fat. on 50 mg/day. can't say enough good about this med-i am now a normal person mentally. very nice to have a 3-day onset, as opposed to five weeks for ssris.

Related Reading: depression | anxiety | antidepressants

Comment from: C.W., 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 17

I was diagnosed with moderate-to-severe depression with anxiety disorder since 1991, yet I know I had the depression a lot earlier than that. I have been to 2 previous psychiatrists who prescribed Prozac, Paxil, Pamelor,Trazedone, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Seroquel, Xanax, Lamictal, Anafranil, and Lithium. All these prescribed over a 15 year period. Nothing was helpful for me. In fact, I developed more complications. I changed psychiatrist and he put me on Parnate. I have been on it since January 2006. It has been a miracle medicine for me. I am now able to be around people more easily, work and function, and be more spontaneous in enjoying life. I am so thankful for this older medicine, since the "tried and true" things still work very well. Once you learn the food and medicine precautions with Parnate, taking Parnate daily just becomes part of who and what you do every day. I am thankful for this MAOI, which is still working at the same dosage level I found effective for me since 2006! It is not perfect, but it is better than the so-called modern antidepressants, afterall I had tried most of the "newer" medicines.

Related Reading: Prozac | Paxil | Pamelor

Comment from: RAByrd, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 17

I had tried numerous other drugs for depression and had too many anxiety side effects. Finally, something that would help me and let me function. I know that this is an old drug, but it worked for me. I also know that the new drugs are the ones that doctors use and say not to use the MAOI;s but that's the only thing that has helped me and saved my life. I was so deep in depression and anxiety. No other Dr. or drugs could help me.

Comment from: olivia grace, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 17

Although the food restrictions are a little aggravating; the results I receive from Parnate are well worth the aggravation. I have bi-polar and my doctor and I have had a difficult time with medications that is effective without the effectiveness wearing off within a matter of 1-6 months. I have been been taking Parnate over 5 months with no evidence that is beginng not to work. This is a miracle. I was diagnosed with bi-polar 12 years ago with many hospitalizations and frequent doctor visits. I haven't been to the hospital since I began Parnate and my doctor visits have been radically reduced. My doctor told me that I am better than he has ever seen me. Praise the Lord that I have a doctor that has stuck with me and is not afraid to try medications that are not typically for bi-polar.

Comment from: rose5, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 23

Several therapies were tried to alleviate my major depressive disorder. Some worked for a short time then I would crash again. My pdoc was very patient and continued to try to find the right combo that would allow me to rejoin the land of the living. Finally he asked if I had heard of MAOIs. Of course I had and I knew there were foods I couldn't eat while taking it. "And...?" was his response. Got the point. Said sign me up. And for the first time in years I feel like "me" again. It's not perfect. It's not a cure. But at least I can finally enjoy life!