Parnate User Reviews

Parnate - User Reviews

Parnate User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Parnate sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: October 08

My dr. started me at 30mgs and I was really dizzy and slept a lot. We backed the dose off to 10mg a day and slowly built up and now I am up to 50mg with virtually no side effects.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 18

new generic has caused severe reactions. Feel sick, light headed, waves of strange feeling through body. Depression returned. Switchint to a different MAOI due to this. Generic parnate is dangerous

Comment from: forgot, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 13

Similar as the previous posts, Parnate is the only anti-depressant that has worked. I've had a few hyper-tensive crises, mostly from food that is past its edible date rather than because it was on the list, with the most severe from a 'new' package of spoiling ham. However, my concern is that after taking it for around 20 years, I am experiencing short-term memory loss and difficulty concentrating. Has anyone else experienced this after long-term use? Thanks.

Comment from: JohnMly, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 09

I've had moderate to severe depression since my early 20's. The SSRI's were not very effective - lots of side effects that made life unenjoyable- though I know they are very effective for others. This turned out to be a "miracle" drug. I took it at the height of one of my depressions and one or two days later felt significantly better. At small dosages I did not feel any side effects. At my current large dosage (60 mg)I've felt several. I have insomnia and (perhaps) have bouts of high blood pressure when drinking lots of coffee - I can't tell. Eating foods that aren't fresh causes high blood pressure and a throbbing headache. I can't tell how frequently the high blood pressure occurs on a general basis. I also don't know if my memory problems are due to it or benzodiazipines that I recently quit after long-term use- I strongly suspect the latter. I obviously suggest staying at a small dose.

Related Reading: insomnia | high blood pressure | headache

Comment from: maggie, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 30

I started taking Parnate when I was 30 and am now 51. Does seem to affect memory and the "foods to avoid" list is pretty long and makes food choices difficult when eating out. As long as it keeps the depression away, I can live with the side effects and no pizza!!

Comment from: uncleelbie@cox.net, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 17

I have been on Parnate for 24 years. It gave me my life back. I tried many anti depressants before my doctor put me on Parnate. In two week I knew I have discovered my fountain of happiness, self control and sanity again.

Comment from: Blacky, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 11

I had suffered with depression from the age of 12 years. After numerous medications and Doctors and hospitisation, I finally found a Dr who put me on Parnate and I have nerver looked back. I have taken this drug since 1980. It has kept me well and I Cannot praise my Doctor enough. Although I live five hours drive from my Doctor he over the twenty nine years has kept in constant contact with me by telephone. Parnate is a great drug, and it is a pity the youner Doctors think it is "too old"! Verna Harford Gunnedah NSW Australia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 14

Absolutely, positively wonderful!! A real life saver!! Tried others but Parnate was like Heaven opening up!! However, the short term memory loss, number/letter transposing, and restlessness are somewhat bothersome. But...I won't stop my Parnate!!

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 09

Started on 10mg for 3 day then increased to 20mg per doctor. On the 6th day I experienced severe dizziness to the point of passing out every time I tried to sit up or get up with severe head/neck pain. My chest hurt, shortness of breath and heart beating hard. Scared me to death, stopped it immediately but took me 3 days to be able to get out of the bed. Worst experience I've had on any antidepressant.

Related Reading: dizziness | neck pain

Comment from: Dante, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 27

At the age of 74, I have tried all the other drugs and none worked. My psychiatrist then put me on Parnate taking 4 10mgs a day. Yes, there are some reactions and yes, the food laws are complicated and sometimes difficult. But the drug has been a miracle drug. It has helped me immensely. For me, it is an "end of the road" drug. It is the only one that has worked. A major side effect that I have recently learned of is my inability to take general anesthesia. This has created a major problem for me, but I will not give up the drug. The food restrictions cause you to look at the right foods more creatively and good weight loss will occur. I see my doctor once a week and my depression, while it hasn't gone away, is now under control. Rather, the drug enables me to have better control. It has been a miracle drug.