Parnate User Reviews

Parnate - User Reviews

Parnate User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Parnate sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: N J, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 26

Parnate is for my Bi-polar condition. My Psychiatrist tried 12 other antidepressants which, not only did not help the side effects were traumatic! Parnate worked for me within days. I have been taking Parnate {10 milligrams 2 daily) I am 69yrs old & have been taking this drug for app. 17yrs. My Bi-polar symptoms started when I was having menopause symptoms. The few time that I discontinued Parnate, I would have extreme highs & lows for months at a time!Parnate is a challenge to take because it has major food problems. There are many foods that restrictions; some include certain meats, all cheese products,some fruits & vegies (ones which contain tourmaline. I am a vegetarian, which does help. However favorite foods like cheese,avocados,anything pickled, very limited amounts of caffeine products. cheese is hard to not eat! love pizza,cheese sandwiches,eating out is complicated. Most salads include cheese &/or cheese dressings, yogurt can be touchy as is dark green vegies. Eating any of these can cause a stroke or death. You have to be VERY CAREFUL! you CAN'T CHEAT! A food or medication that does not interact totally shuts your body down(at least mine) I feel completely disorientate & just have to take a sleeping pill & hope that I'm not having a stroke! Now I am very, very careful. Even Doctors prescribe meds for some other problem, sometimes even after I remind them. Luckily most pharmacy's will catch it. I would not recommend this, unless you have tried at 6-8 other medications.You will probably have to make dosage adjustments, & severe health or personal problems can make it ineffective!

Related Reading: menopause | stroke

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 14

Parnate is the first antil depressant drug that has noticeably worked for me. The dietary restrictions are numerous and sometimes difficult.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 30

Had major side effects. Started on the largest dose, but quickly had to be moved to the smallest dose. The side effects including complete lack of sleep, trouble urinating, and loss of the control of the eyes (blurred vision). Was pulled off of the medication immediately and switched to the patch with no side effects.

Comment from: pizzadreamer, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 28

Have been on Parnate for 15 years. I do take an exceptionally large dose. No other med has been this effective for this long. The diet is a challenge, but doable. I have not had mania, but it is a side effect in person's with bipolar. Nardil (another MAOI) was more effective, but it's effectiveness didn't last. For me this is a last resort and am grateful something works. Many drug interactions makes treatment for other concerns a challenge but there are ways.

Related Reading: Nardil

Comment from: Pauline, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 24

I have been on this medication for 10 year and it works fine for me. It is the only medication that has helped me. Some would work for awhile then stop. I'm on 40mg. a day, I take it all in the A.M. and I do have to have Parnate as the generic did not work for me. Also, I eat almost anything I want and have never had a problem. I read that the food restrictions have been relaxed a it. I even drink pasteurized beer once in a while. My PSY. Doc. said that was the only kind I could drink, no Micro-Brewery beer. Now I'm not recommending other people should do this, I just know what goes on within my own body. I am also on 600mg. of Lithium which I will be weaned off from after the holidays are over. Too many side effects.

Comment from: Mudd d, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 19

I've been on Parnate for such a long time I guess its in my intermost parts of my brain. I tried to quit it and get on Paxil but, the side effects of paxil on me was just too much to take and I did a slow taper off of parnate too. It does'nt work too good on me, but it still does help some.

Comment from: PaulMemphis, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 13

have to avoid certain foods

Comment from: westiemom, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 16

I have taken Parnate for 27 years. I went off it 20 years ago because I had a severe hypertensive crisis that nearly killed me. I tried 15 other medications but nothing worked for more than a few months to relieve my symptoms of chronic depression. I have had 3 interactions with food all from eating in restaurants. The latest was this week. I ordered a ham & onion omelette with toast. I assumed it was a safe choice but they must have had parmesan cheese or something on the same chopping block as the onion because I've never had problems with ham. I can eat cream cheese or non-aged cheddar cheese but that's it. the symptoms started right after eating. I was sweating and my vision started ti blur. I had to get outside for air. My neck started throbbing & I had to pull my car over. The back of my head was throbbing & I had to cover my eyes from the light. My friend called her husband but by the time he got there I was screaming in agony (we should have called an ambulance). I lost the feeling in my hands & feet & by the time I got to the ER I felt like the back of my head had been shot off. They didn't do anything except monitor my blood pressure which was very high. I guess there wasn't too much tyramine in the meal because my b.p. started to fall after a couple of hours. They gave me a sedative & sent me home. Two days later I've still got a massive headache & am nauseous. I know it's scary but I rarely eat i restaurants and the potentially fatal reaction is not enough to not use Parnate. Without it I lie in bed & cannot work or even look after myself. i guess it will be a while before I eat in a restaurant again.

Comment from: light, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 14

It works very well for me and has been my life saver for over 30yrs.