Paxil User Reviews

Paxil - User Reviews

Paxil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Paxil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: maya67, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 21

I suffered with undiagnosed social anxiety disorder for years, beginning when I was a very young child. I had an extreme fear of public speaking and even of small group or one-on-one visits with people, as I was always worrying about panicking and feeling embarrassed. I had extremely low self-esteem, and did not feel on an equal level with others, as I felt that there was something very wrong with me. I certainly was not comfortable in my own skin, and it caused me feelings of depression and anxiety for years. I would read self-help books having to do with coping with anxiety and discovering my true self, but nothing worked all that well, until I told my doctor about my anxiety and she suggested I try Paxil. I got on it, and the drug has completely changed my life! I no longer have any panic attacks; I have quit my dead-end job that I worked at for 15 years just because I thought I couldn't do anything else, and am now a sales representative with my own home-based business; I am a better mother to my four children; I no longer have a sick feeling in my stomach so much of the time like I used to have (in fact, I don't ever have that sick feeling at all anymore!). The only drawback I may see to this is the fact that I have not experienced this self-confidence ever in my life before this, so sometimes I get a little carried away in social situations, and maybe say too much or act a little wilder than a lot of the other people. I now do not worry about anything, and I have a general feeling that everything will be fine in life. I have gone from one extreme to the other with dealing with stress, and I definitely like this extreme a lot better!

Related Reading: anxiety | depression | Paxil

Comment from: Jill, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 27

PLEASE highly weigh the consequences and risks of taking Paxil. It could cost you your life and/or your sanity. My father took Paxil for 2 weeks and experienced realistic, vivid nightmares, extreme insomnia, exhaustion, and a detachment to life. He eventually committed suicide!! In his remaining letter, he reiterated these symtoms, pointing mostly to extreme and intolerable exhaustion. He wrote that his body hurt all over, most likely intensified from the sleep deprivation. After reading numerous reports on this drug, many users report many of the same problems, with additions: sinus, flu-like symtoms, feeling detached and numb, electric body zaps, loss of sex drive, terrifying nightmares, insomnia, confusion, exhaustion, and dizzyness. Adding to that, many users have reported that separation from Paxil resulted in a torturous and terrifying withdrawal, with headaches, added dizzyness, worsened depression, and impulsiveness. Please think hard before taking Paxil!!

Related Reading: nightmares | insomnia | suicide

Comment from: angsap, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 17

i would NEVER recommend this medication to anybody. my doctor had me on it, only 20mg, and it ruined my life for months. he then took me off of it cold turkey. last week i spent two nights in the ER because of it. it made me have the worst anxiety attacks of my life. i was hyperventalating, couldn't breathe, my arms/hands/legs/feet were numb, i was hystarical, couldn't keep water/food down, could NOT sleep, and cried for weeks. please do not take this drug! i don't want it to ruin anyone like it did me. and NEVER let your doctor take you off cold turkey. and mind u, i was supposedly going to one of the best hospitals in cleveland. all doctors do now a days is memorize things out of a book to pass a test. they generalize you in a category without listening. i hope this helps people.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 28

The Paxil works great while you are taking it. However it is VERY DIFFICULT to get off the drug. I urge anyone considering going on the drug to do some research on the web and discover the awful things that happen to people that are experiencing withdrawal from Paxil.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 02

After a emotional time in my life my DR. perscribed the drug Paxil which I was on for approx 10 years. My dosage was 20mg/day. The drug seemed to really help balance me. Recently I decided it was time to see if I still needed the drug. I started on a gradual withdrawl. I reduced my medication - 1 pill every second day, then every third etc until eventually I was taking 1/2 a pill every third day. Everytime I changed the dosage I found I had side effects like dizziness, and lack of focus as well as crying at the drop of a hat. Finally I decided enough is enough and stopped taking the pills. It has been the worst 2 weeks. I have had every side effect listed and they do not seem to be getting any better. Although the drug was effective while I was taking it, I would not recommend it to anyone who does not plan on taking it for the rest of thier lives. The side effects are just not worth it!!!

Related Reading: dizziness