Paxil User Reviews

Paxil - User Reviews

Paxil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Paxil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: llharnold, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 05

This medication could cause you to gain weight very quickly! I was on Paxil from June 2004 through December 2006 and during that time gained 50 lbs. No other changes in appetite or exercise. When i tried to take off weight, it was very difficult. My doctor finally changed me to Cymbalta when she realized that I had ballooned in weight and she thought that the Paxil ahd something to do with it. It also lost its efffectiveness after awhile and I began to have some depression symptoms returning. Now that I am on another medication, I'm takign off weight easily and feel much better.

Related Reading: Cymbalta

Comment from: bigjonbrown, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 01

It works fine, with a very slightly euphoric sensation after the first 2-3 weeks which goes away in a few months or less. Initial inability to climax during intercourse (men and women) fades after several months. Only real problem is that quitting is REALLY hard. I haven't had any psychological withdrawals, but the physical withdrawals were FAR more intense than the 'slight flu-like symptoms' described by the manufacterer. My symptoms were more like serious sea-sickness or a bad hangover... inner ear seemed to be off in me and I felt the room spinning until I took some of the drug. I took it initially in 1998 after a breakup and have been unable to kick it due to the discomforting side effects. Anyone have a solution?

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: dan86, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 25

i like paxil. it workes better for me than zoloft, about three fold actually. tolerability is higher than zoloft in my case, due to the lack of watery bowls, however, paxil interferes with a lot of other meds, specifically OTC. i don't recommend taking paxil and combining any of the following drugs: diphenhydramine (can give anxiety and akathesia, due to interaction from CYP2D6 even at low doses as 25-50mg, every dose of benadryl is doubled because cytochrome2D6 is inhibited by the paxil), dextromethorphan(DXM) for the same reason as diphenhyrdamine. DXM's dissociative hallucinogenic effects are more noticeable so it can and may make you feel funny. there are other meds that may be potentiated by paroxetine. alcohol + paxil = extrovert. but alcohol being a depressant, combining the two for me have been no comment. sometimes good, sometimes horrible. use caution. constipation. drowsiness. night sweats. stimulation of appetite. WEIGHT GAIN, WEIGHT GAIN, WEIGHT GAIN. which is good if you're slim like me. insomnia, but not as bad as the other ssri's. lack of motivation. reduction on anxiety, brought on by paxil's relaxing effects. this lack of motivation is why i cannot give it 5 stars for satisfaction. i LOVE THAT PAXIL is amazing for anxiety and it is almost a downer on it's own, but i wish it did this without making me less motivated. sexual dysfunction. i take 40mg daily. generic paroxetine. manufactured by TEVA. this generic seems to have a pretty good bio-equivalence to brand name paxil GSK.

Related Reading: zoloft | zoloft | benadryl

Comment from: jylatham, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 22

I started taking Paxil in 10/09 after 8+ yrs on 20mg Prozac. I'd gone through some major life-stressors and felt as if the Prozac wasn't doing its job anymore. I started the 20 mg Paxil and felt a new "mellow-ness" start to settle in after a few days, which obviously was a nice change. I weighed 134. However, after about 3 months, I noticed a huge, steady weight gain, though my eating and exercise habits had not changed. I began to feel very anxious and depressed about the way I looked due to the weight gain and asked my Dr. about it who basically told me I wasn't 21 anymore (I'm 31) and my metabolism had changed. I thought, "Bulls&^*" and did a little research, only to find out that massive weight gain is actually very common. I read over and over not to stop the drug cold-turkey b/c it can cause major withdrawl symptoms. So I started out by half-ing my dose (down to 10 mg) for 10 days and didn't notice any change. then I did another half (down to 5 mg) for another 10 days. Then I started taking 5mg every other day. After about 10 days of that, I started to LOSE it. Major crying episodes, muscle aches, confusion, rage, memory lapses and just a general horrible feeling. My husband noticed a big decline in my mental health and suggested I started taking it again, which I've refused b/c after 5 months on the drug, I have gained 39 lbs!! Just typing that made me get flustered and cry. It was totally counter-productive to "fix" my mental state but destroy my physical state. It's a huge cycle and I am beyond frustrated. I didn't gain this much weight through my entire pregnancy and I was on prozac throughout the pregnancy! I now weigh 173 and am starting back on the 20mg Prozac but am not sure my mental health will recover until my physical health does - and losing 40lbs will obviously be a long process. :(

Related Reading: Prozac | mental health | pregnancy

Comment from: Star, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 01

IT'S SO HARD TO GET OFF !!! I dont't know what to do, I don't need this drug anymore I'm so scared that it has turned me into a junkie or something, I've gained 20 pounds in a very short amount of time,I GET HEAD ZAPPS & whole body jolts my head hurts all the time I'm really trying to go cold turkey, but everytime I read a review i feel HELPLESS. It helped me when I needed IT but I DON'T NEED IT ANYMORE!! good thing I'm not working right now, It's no way anyone could hold a job going though this, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME !!!