Paxil User Reviews

Paxil - User Reviews

Paxil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Paxil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Mommy Dearest, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 20

I have been taking Paxil for about 7 years. It worked miracles for me, when I didn't think anything would help with my depression. Although my family refers to them as my crazy pills, I have to agree. A couple years ago I missed 5days of meds, out of laziness. Late in the 5th day i noticed numbing hands, and I went into a state of total confusion. I didn't know my children's, fiances, or dogs names. 10 seconds after taking meds I was fine. Very scary, though. Don't ever try to quit cold turkey. God only knows what would have happened if I was alone that day. Yesterday morning I woke up, took my meds with a sip of coffee then went out to sit and do my crossword puzzle. As I looked at my paper, nothing made sense(simple clues and words). I recognized that same confused state as when I experienced withdrawls. I couldn't remember what a pool was called,and I couldn't speak the names of my dogs, kids and fiance again. Noone was with me, so I just sat and kept trying my crossword puzzle over and over. finally, after about 15 mins. I was fine-even scarier this time because I hadn't missed any meds. I went to the doctor and was told it could have been a mini stroke-a side effect of Paxil. I am having an MRI and blood work today. Hopefully it isn't related to Paxil and it's nothing. Paxil has literally been a life-saver for me.

Related Reading: stroke

Comment from: bill925, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 29

I have been taking Paxil CR for about two years now for depression and PTSD. At first it worked great, but I have gained 40 pounds since being on Paxil. I don't and have never really eaten very much but the weight kept coming until I felt even worse than before taking it. I feel miserable after gaining all the weight but have just switched to Cymbalta. With Paxil, my sex drive went from wanting it every day to not caring if I ever have sex. I still had anxiety with Paxil and would take Xanax to combat that. I went to a new Psychiatrist a few days ago, and was told Paxil was the wrong drug for me, and she would very seldom prescribe it because of the side effects. I'm just hoping now I can feel better, lose weight, and enjoy sex again.

Related Reading: Xanax

Comment from: scott316, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 29

I was originally on Lexapro, which was working great. Until I lost my medical insurance and couldn't afford it anymore. My doctor put me on Paxil and about 2 weeks later I felt better than I did on Lexapro. The Paxil even helps with my anxiety more effectivly!

Related Reading: Lexapro

Comment from: va, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 21

visual changes..feeling disconnected w self, no orgasms,weight gain ,intense carb cravings, horrible withdrawal headache,dizzy,nausea used for pp depression/anxiety

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: mom-to-all, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 28

Started taking Paxil when I was 35. I am now 46 and wouldn't want to be my old self again. I do remember it taking about 2 weeks for the early side effects to subside; nausea mostly. It is well worth the 2 weeks of adjustment, and I have never had any other side effects..just contentment!

Comment from: R, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been on Paxil for 15 years. I have also been on it while pregnant with one child and breastfed 2 children while on it. Both children are healthy and have suffered no ill effects from it(they are middle school age and younger). I started taking it for depression/anxiety/panic and within 3 days I reported to my psychiatrist that the cloud had lifted. I went off it with my first child and struggled throughout the pregnancy so it was advised I stay on it through the next pregnancy. I have also tried to switch to other meds but have always gone back to Paxil. The side effects of the withdrawal each time were always horrible. I have decided to just stay on it forever because I am happy on it. I had a lot of side effects when I started Paxil for the first several months to year but they were much better than crying constantly. I have struggled with depression/anxiety/panic all of my life. I don't have any memory of not having it or not feeling it lurking. The Paxil gave me my life. BTW, I did have therapy in the beginning when I started the med. I think it helps the effectiveness ultimately.

Comment from: tink3160, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 19

I was put on paxil after the loss of my son in 2001. I have tried to go off of this drug and have not been successful. Everytime I slowly try to ease off of paxil I feel as though I am going insane. The feeling that I have are just unbearable. Am I stuck taking this medication for the rest of my life? If not, how do you get off of this without ruining your life even more? I have gained weight, no sexual drive, my blood pressure has gone up and it is taking control of my life.

Related Reading: sexual