Paxil-CR User Reviews

Paxil-CR - User Reviews

Paxil-CR User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Paxil-CR sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Sharon, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been on this medication for 16 years! It was pretty new on the market when I tried it. At that point, it was the alternative to prozac which was always in the news. I didn't want any part of that! I've had excellent results with this medication. It gave me life! I was a mess before starting (depressed and anxious) and had been that way for about 12 years, but within 2 weeks I started to feel "normal". I was concerned about being on the medication when I got pregnant for my second son, but he is 4 years old and completely normal. I had tried to go off the medication a few years prior to my pregnancy and I also experienced withdrawal type symptoms. I was decreasing the amount I was taking over a few weeks. I reached a certain point and it was not possible to go any further. I don't mind taking it because it allows me to be "normal". It would be nice not to have to depend on it, but it beats the alternative. I just pray they never stop manufacturing it! Just like a diabetic that takes insulin to live, I take Paxil to live. I don't think we should feel bad about that. If a diabetic stops their insulin, they will have serious problems. The same is true for us. I think we should be glad that we have medications available to us. Sure it would be nice not to take them, but sometimes that's not possible.

Related Reading: prozac | pregnancy | Paxil

Comment from: rickarooski, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 06

This is a follow-up note to my 1+ years on Paxil. The star rating says it all as it pertains to the treatment. THIS POST, addresses the weight gain issue of some users. I have NOT gained any weight on Paxil. That's not to say that if I didn't realize what was happening, I'd be bigger than a house by now. For whatever reason, Paxil' beneficial effect turns off the "I'm full" button in your head. For me, I could eat until I exploded and not feel full. This must go along with the sedative/calming or (la-la-la who-cares) effect of this group of drugs). The weight gain is YOUR responsibility. Establish portion sizes and STICK WITH IT!! No 2nd's!! (That will be just the next step before 3rd's, ect.) When you wake up at night, AND YOU WILL, do not raid the pantry for chips, cookies, ect. This is the area to consentrate on. Meals are now VISUAL BASED since you'll have a hard time getting the "full" feeling any more. Hope this helps! PS: If you ever say to yourself "this one small amount of ???? at 3AM won't hurt", you need to re-read this post.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 04

My doctor put me on 20 mg of Paxil as a teen when I was having panic attacks because of the stress of living in an abusive family. Paxil stopped the panic effectively. But it changed my personality. I felt blunted, which helped me tolerate the abusive situation, but it robbed me of the core of my humanity. I couldn't feel emotions as strongly. And I couldn't get excited about anything. Also, if I failed to take it consistently, I went through nightmarish withdrawals. At the time, it was not considered addictive and came with no warning. Six years later, I decided I had to stop taking it. I didn't like how it made me. And I got tired of always worrying about obtaining another prescription. Getting off this medicine was the worst experience I've ever had. Please take this seriously. The withdrawals are worse than you can even imagine. I have experienced both paxil withdrawal and heroin withdrawal, and I would consider the paxil withdrawal the worse of the two. Heroin withdrawal hurts, but paxil withdrawal hurts and causes you to doubt your sanity. But worst of all, more than the withdrawals I experienced, was that after I stopped taking paxil, I became myself again, and literally felt as if I had woken up in the middle of someone else's life. And all the issues I once had and had buried thanks to the medication presented themselves all over again. My problems never went away, Paxil just made me more successful at ignoring them. My sense of shame is terrible. I can't understand why I made the choices I made when I was on that medicine. I failed to protect myself. I hurt those close to me because I didn't understand the emotional pain I could cause other people. It was horrible finally facing the reality of what my life had become. In short, Paxil will make you feel better, if your life is unbearable because of anxiety. But it comes with a cost. It changes you. And it's horribly and undeniably addictive. I can't believe I was told this drug was 'safe'

Related Reading: panic attacks | stress | anxiety

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 13

1st of all I read all the reviews and just laugh, all meds work differently for EVERYBODY. It will work for some and not for others. This med gave me my life back! I was suffering from panic attacks so bad I couldnt do a single thing without having an attack. Ive been on the med for around 4 yrs. I never liked the idea of taking pills but once I started on 10mg I up'd my dose to 20 mg and have been on that since. I have about 2 weeks where I had to be off the med and it wasnt the greatest but was doable. Just made me feel lightheaded and dizzy. but in all reality I would much rather feel that then another panic attack ever. So basically if this is a med that can work for you I say go for it. it was a miracle for me.

Comment from: hope for us, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 05

I have been on Paxil for 6 yrs. It has been a miracle. I have been off it 2 times and its always because other people make me feel bad for takeing it. They call it a crutch or act like I get high on it. My symptoms always return with out Paxil. And I have to go threw all that suffering for nothing. I will take paxil all my life and be happy I have it the alternitive for me is killing myself.