Penlac User Reviews

Penlac - User Reviews

Penlac User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Penlac sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: david, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I used this topical solution for about one and a half years. Each time the nails started to show signs of improvement, an in-grown toe nail would develop on each big toe that would require removal by the podiatrist. The ingrown nails became so painful, I could barely walk--even to go to the podiatrist. No one informed me of potential, temporary, debilitating side effects of this topical medication. I had to stop using it. The total cost for using it and the subsequent podiatrist in-office surgeries for in-grown nail removals exceeded $1500. I will never use this product again. I still have the fungus and don't know what else to do. Recently, I heard about a Laser Treatment for toe nail fungus but can't seem to find any info. on-line. Hopefully, Penlac will be more effective for someone else; it was a night-mare for me.

Related Reading: Penlac

Comment from: Dr. Don W, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had a very severe big toe(both)nail fungus infection for over 50 years. I have never had any satisfactory results in the past.. I began a generic ciclopirox nail lacquer treatment November 9, 2010. As of May 13, 2011, I now have completely clear toe nails on both big toes(82% of both nails has covered both nail beds)I did not remove the nails, but I debrided my nails very thoroughly when I removed the old laquer every Monday. It is very very critical that the directions be followed without exceptions.

Comment from: sissy t, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 19

Penlac is very easy to use, and has done a great job for me.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 05

I've been on penlac for a year and I my two big toenails look the same as when I started.

Comment from: masterianda@yahoo.com, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 07

I was not told it would loosen the nail & cause it to come off/wanted nail to remain during tx. My nail looks very distorted; like a horse-shoe shape with skin up the middle. Purple got over nail bed and red around cuticle. Penlac did nothing to help. Lamisil Pills worked. After 3 months my prescription ran out - then it came back again.... on Itraconazole pills now. We'll see. I'm very embarrassed and it's been 10 mos. My doctor just took a biopsy. I guess I'll miss wearing sandals again this year. My doctor says you cannot get it again from your own clippers. Articles I had read say differently. I think this happened when during a pedicure they nicked my cuticle. I had severe nail pain and it was red and not around the cuticle and it all started.

Related Reading: Lamisil

Comment from: bettyb, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 07

I have been using this medication off-on for more than 7 years on my one infected toe nail. I've used it - as directed - religiously and asfor the past year and it has failed to clear up the fungus. I'm very disappointed in the product and am now switching to the generic version and looking for an alternative treatment.

Comment from: Leslie, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 14

I used Penlac several years ago as the oral medicine (lamasil) wasn't an option for me. It did take quite a long time, but I had very good results. Several years later, I'm using it again and hoping for the same good results. The first time I used it, I was seeing a podiatrist monthly who used his "dremel" drill to thin out the thick nail and I believe that really helped. This time I'm using a really stiff emery board to try and thin the thick nail myself. Have patience... this is a great treatment.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 17

Although it took a long time, Penlac cleared up the 80% of the fungus on both big toes. I did 3 rounds of lamasil and it didn't work.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 26

Have been using for a month and a half works great. Use a stiff file to grind down nail and new growth looks great

Comment from: Ant0707, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 06

I've had toe nail fungus before from wearing closed shoes while working in a restaurant kitchen. My previous doctor put me on lamisil twice, worked GREAT! I noticed a few months ago that i had a small hallow looking spot starting to develop at the end of my nail bed (tip of nail). My current dic put me on penlac and said she was unable to prescribe me lamisil as i would need regular blood tests. None the less ( $150 later thank g-d for benefits! and a referal to a dermatologist) i am now using the penlac. The hollow spot has not got any bigger, but my nail has grown out a bit since and i see no improvement. Hopefully the dermatologist will put me back on lamisil.

From WebMD