Phenobarbital User Reviews

Phenobarbital - User Reviews

Phenobarbital User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Phenobarbital sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Kay, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 18

After using this med for over 40 years,my only quibble is that it does make you sleepy! Be that as it may,it works...and you do learn to adapt!

Comment from: CJ, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 03

I was diagnosed with Eplipesy when I was 11 (I am not 46) but had been suffering from seizures for many years prior. Started with Phenobarbital (and Dilantin). My advice... do your homework and think twice before approving the use of Phenobarbital for yourself or your child!!! Can cause severe depression, rapid tooth decay and osteoporosis.

Related Reading: Phenobarbital | Dilantin | depression

Comment from: on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 16

i have been on phenobarbital since 1985, when i had my first seizure, and through a combination of that drug and dilantin, i have not had a seisure. though i wonder why it is that 64.8mg of phenobarbital is considered the same dosage amount as 60mg. just looking at the numbers, it seems to me that 64.8mg is a higher dose that 60mg. i only mention this because i seem to get more drossy the day i began taking the tablets with the medicine bottle labeled 64.8mg.

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: touchofblue, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 04

It's taken a while to get my levels staying in the therapeutic range, but once I did--ZAP!! I am now almost seizure-free...after 31 years.

Comment from: Truth be told, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 15

Phenobarbital will ruin your life and body. I was on 300mg a day for 24yrs, made me a very angry violent person. Rotted my teeth out . I finally just stopped taking it and food tastes much better and the anger is gone. been off it for 10 yrs and you could never pay me enough money to take it again. Phenobarbital is a evil drug and the doctors will never tell you about known side effects, that it destroys your body over time or that it may make you very aggressive / violent . by the way I took it for seizures that started after a car accident when I was 4 due to a head trauma that the doctor said caused me to have seizures. I still remember the principal in my school saying to my parents that I was retarded and should go to a special school. I wish he could have been put on 300mg a day to see him try and do his job. I run my own business , build homes and resteraunts. find a better medication for your children for their sake please.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 03

My cat was having frequent, severe seizures but on this medication has been seizure free for 2 years!

Comment from: Thomas NYC, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 19

After a motorcycle accident 1984 due to a double hematoma I have been on and off Phenobarbital tried dilantin,depakote blablabla,finaly this is the only med for me!I take3x64.8mg in the morning and have been Grand Mal Seizure free since 1994>The med does make me agigatated and very compulsive.But at least Seizure FREE

Related Reading: hematoma | depakote

Comment from: sandi706, 3-6 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 26

My son, now 4 yrs old suffers from severe brain damage since birth & has been on phenobarbital since then. Of course the dosage has been increased over the last 4 yrs because he is growing & the dr wants to keep his phenobarb level acceptable. He was having gramd mal seizures quite frequently but now he only has them once in a while. The med works very well for him & anyone who has seen a child go into an uncontrollable seizure would be glad to have this med around.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 08

I started having seizures just before I started 2nd grade. I took phenobarbital for only 1 year. I am now 30 yrs old and have not had a seizure while I was on the drug or since I have been off of it.

Comment from: rosie29, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder 8 yrs ago. my first medication made my seizures worst. i got pregnant, my doctor put me on phenobarbital, i have not had a seizure for 5 years. i am very pleased with this medication

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.