Phenobarbital User Reviews

Phenobarbital - User Reviews

Phenobarbital User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Phenobarbital sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Published: July 18

I used this medication for more than 28 years and now have osteoporosis. This is one of the side effects.

Related Reading: osteoporosis

Comment from: poohey, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 20

I have been using this drug for over 28 years now.I was diagnosed epileptic at age 12.I was put in a major university for over 3 mo.they tried depakote,dilanten,you name it,then at 16 I became pregnant @found out the other drugs given causes such bad side effects to my unborn child I changed drugs.This has been a life saver I have 6 children,3 grandchildren non can keep up with me.The side effects of this drug are real awakening but you can overcome all of them but the fidgeting!Or at least I have.The dilanten was so bad and rotted all my teeth.Dr. today call this an OLD drug,but not all "old" things are bad.The side effects of the others and the lack of control you have on them is over whelming and not functional and certainly not positive.I have only had 9 grand mall seizures in 28 yrs.this was and is a miracle drug for me.

Comment from: Tybee, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 03

I've been using this medication for about 1 month for my insomnia. It's worked very well for me and some nights I'd sleep for 12 hours at a time.

Related Reading: insomnia | sleep

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 05

I have been on Pheno since 1967 along with Dilantin and have very good seizure control.

Comment from: Marcia, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 08

I was put on this medication in 1991 after having partial and then a grand mal seizure. At first it worked pretty good but then the seizures returned.I was put on 3 different other drugs(tergtol,topramx & Limictal ?sp. but they only made seizures worse. Am back on Pheno and usually have seizures every 1-2 wks.They generally are for one day only.

Comment from: HappyButNot, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 08

The drug has done exactly what it was supposed to do for me. That doesn't mean that I have been "satisfied" with the experience...to be on any drug is to forfeit control of your life. To do so because of a condition can be frustrating at the very least...

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 27

I began having seizures when I was three (I am now 31) and tried other medications with adverse side effects. I then tried phenobarbital and have been seizure free since. I also have never experienced any of the known side effects. Phenobarital has done wonders to control my grand mal seizures.

Comment from: joshro, Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 28

My newborn daughter had seizures caused by a tiny blood vessel in her brain that had not fully developed. The doctor put her on Phenobarbital and she has not had a seizure since then.

Comment from: gloriasick47, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 07

Well i have had seizure's since i was 1yr old @ that time i was on oral pheno.i did not have any seizure's .Until i went to another nerologist and he put me on Dilantin i had 12 seizure's in 2week's so he put me back on Pheno.and that was 3week's ago and i have not had a seizure since but i injured my head alot having those seizure's alot of bad bumps &lumps.I know i had a couple concusions,and that worry's me.But my D.R.saw and felt the bumps & lumps and really was not worried.iam wondering if there is or will be any repercutions of hitting my head so many time's.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 22

I have taken it for 29years and works fine.

Comment from: Juan Covas, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 25

I had left temporal lobe removal, I,m in the process of eliminating the phenobarbital

Comment from: kat, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 04

my golden retriever has had several seizures. the vet put her on this and she has only been on it for a week. yes the seizures have stopped, however, she now has terrible itching all over her body esp in ears and has uncontrollable diarherra.

Related Reading: itching

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.