Plaquenil User Reviews

Plaquenil - User Reviews

Plaquenil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Plaquenil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: projectofgd, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 10

I have only been on this drug for a few months and I am noticing a remarkable difference in my achiness and overall fatigue. it is doing exactly what I was told it would do! AMEN!

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 13

I was doing very well on plaquenil for 9yrs. I now have damage in my retina and can no longer drive. I have what is called a bulls eye macula. This means there is a blind circle around the central vision. It also seems that there been a gradual decline in peripheril vision. I do reccommend the medicine, but PLEASE make sure your eye doctor gives you FIELD FISION tests all the time. Especially if you have taken it for over 7-8yrs as the plaquenil remains in your body for a long time. It is very hard to tell on visual inspection of the retina that the plaquenil has left deposits. Since it is rare, many eye drs are lax about it. When caught early, no more damage may appear. But if not caught early you can continue to lose vision like me.

Comment from: lisaanna, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 31

I have had Ruematoid Arthritis for about three years now and this medication has helped me so much. I can actually walk down a flight of stairs without crying, it has been a life saver. I haven't had any other problems while taking this medication either, so over all its pretty great.

Related Reading: Arthritis

Comment from: krystaljb, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 18

Hi all. I have been on plaquenil for over 10 years now. This medication has really helped my condition. I do see my eye doctor on a regular basis. I wear glass but they are not necessary. I did have a flare up around November of last year. But it didn't last long. I no longer have aches and pains like I did when I first got sick. Overall this medication has really helped me.

Comment from: marty, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 25

LOVE< LOVE< LOVE this medication! Got my life back! Have been on it for 13 years. Have SLE and suffered from joint pain and swelling, hair loss, fatigue, migraines, and other bad neurological symptoms, rash. Debilitating fatigue was the worst! Started feeling the medication working after 6 weeks, and took about 12 weeks for full effect. Took two 200mg tablets a day. Tried weening back to only one 200mg tablet a day with no luck. Joint pain, swelling, migraines and fatigue came flooding back. Now 400mg on even days alternating with 200 mg on the odd days. No side effects that I know of over the years. Have routine blood work drawn every 6 months. This medication was a lifesaver for me in the midst of SLE, and I am thankful not to have to use the other medications like steroids that can have worse side effects.

Comment from: Amy, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been on Plaquinel for 22 yrs. My doctor told me me it would take a good 3 months to notice any BIG difference in the way I would feel. I'm here to say this drug is very beneficial for those who have SLE and RA. I would not have been able to work for the last 21 years. I highly recommend this medication.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 04

I have been taking 200mg a day for the past 15 years. Cleared up my discoid lupus, regrew the hair I lost. I am able to live a normal life with lots of energy-work a full time job. No problems with side effects.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 29

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome about 7 years ago (23), believe that I had had it years before. I was to the point that I could not get out of bed unless absolutly necessary. I found great improvement with a combonations of plaquenil and NSAIDs, but not 100%. If I forgot to take the plaqenil I reverted to a flareup. NSAIDs didn't seem to matter, still had pain. I have been able to come of the NSAIDs with use of diets, but haven't been able to come off the plaquenil yet. It's saved my life. I feel better at 30 than I did at 22. My recommendation to anyone with pain: experiment with your diet. Wheat triggers swelling and joint pain for me, but I have tested negative for Celiac disease twice. Tomatoes, gin, beer, and white zinfendel cause flareups as well. I feel much better when I eat a clean diet. Chicken, veggies, fruit, and rice. It's hard so I allow for cheats but remember that I will feel awful. Also, preservatives make me feel like death.

Related Reading: Sjogren's Syndrome | Celiac disease

WebMD Daily

Get breaking medical news.