Pravachol User Reviews

Pravachol - User Reviews

Pravachol User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Pravachol sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Ldtucker55@aol.com, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 20

I have use Pravachol for over four years now. My total cholesterol lever has changed from 250 to 160. I have had no side effects from this drug.

Related Reading: Pravachol | cholesterol

Comment from: michele.vasquez@avmed.org, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: March 31

My father was given this medication after bypass 2 yrs ago & complained about the burning sensation in his face/he was told it was better than the alternative. After blood test showed chol. level of 167, dr increased to 40 mg in May 2007. He complained of pain in every bone & muscle of his body- he became so weak. He blamed the medication for his pain/stopped taking but too late...his muscles were so weak that his heart gave out in his sleep..I don't trust this medication at all!

Comment from: mizrose, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 10

I've been taking it for about 12 days and I feel awful! Pain in my spine, legs, hands, headache. Feel like a zombie. Will try to switch to an herbal like red rice yeast. I hate it!

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 28

I took myself off of Zetia afer the bad press. At that time my cholesteral level was great. I was off of cholesterol meds for a year and my level climbed back to 230 so Doc prescribed Pravochol. I was given the generic. Took one pill every other day. Afer first pill felt burning in calf but didn't connect. Took second pill as directed and major muscles were on fire in addition to achy joints and itching all over. I won't take another one. It's been two weeks and my leg muscles are still burning. Doc is now reccommending Welchol or going back to Zetia.

Related Reading: Zetia | itching | Welchol

Comment from: augydog, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 07

I started out on Zocor (5mg, 10mg, 20mg), and had to get off of it because of aches to my arms and shoulders. I've been on Pravachol for almost 5 years and have a LDL of around 100, and HDL of 48. My total cholesterol is around 180. I haven't experienced any of the known side effects to date. I also take CoQ10 100mg daily. If you take CoQ10, insure that you use the ubiquinol rather than the ubiquinone. Ubiquinone is the oxidized form of CoQ10. The ubiquinol is utilized by the body faster. I would advise reading up on the two. Also, ask your doctor about CoQ10, before taking it. I guess I'll stick with the Pravachol as long as I don't have any problems. I just hope there won't be any long term negative effects from taking this drug.

Related Reading: Zocor

Comment from: Roz, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 16

Took Pravastatin for about a year 40mg. Handled lowing my cholesterol very well. Over time I developed fatigue, mental fog, detachment, leg cramping, extremeties tingling/asleep, nausea, vomiting - overall not well. At a doc visit - I was told to come off the drug until I saw the doc at the next visit - in two weeks (a test). Within 5 days the symptoms started to lift and within days I felt like a new person. Then - 1.5 weeks into the "test" I got head to toe hives/rash - extreme. Doctor did not know why - but a friend of mine suggested that it was probably the "cold turkey" withdrawal from the drug. Anyone experience anything like that?? I'm now looking for natural remedies.

Related Reading: fatigue | hives | rash

I've been on Pravachol for 12 days and I feel awful! Pain in joints and spine, headache, feel like a zombie, no energy. Feel dislocated from everything. Going to ask my dr. about going to red rice yeast.

Cholesterol Management

Tips to keep it under control.