Premarin User Reviews

Premarin - User Reviews

Premarin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Premarin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: hhobbs, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 27

I had a complete hysterectomy in Aug. 08' due to endometeriosis and ovarian cysts. I was put on Premarin the day I left the hospital. I had to increase dosage to 1.25mg due to hot flashes. I rarely have hot flashes anymore, but within the 1st 6 months of taking Premarin I have gained 30 lbs.

Related Reading: ovarian cysts

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 30

At 26 I had to have a partial hysterectomy due to a number of reasons, leaving me with only one ovary. Less than a year later, I had to have my ovary removed because I had developed a tumor in my ovary. Before my surgery, my ovary stopped functioning. I had hot flashes, night sweats, and fatigue. I have only been on premarin for 2 weeks, but I immediately felt the results. No hot flashes, no night sweats, and no fatigue. As a mother of 4, with a full time job, this medication was a God send. I have had a few side effects, such as leg pain and headaches, but over the counter pain meds and a heating pad help. I am willing to deal with sore legs and headaches if it means I have the energy to care for my children. I am not concerned with weight gain as this medications seems to have deminished my appetite, and I hit the ground running at 5:00 am everyday. As far as the more serious health concerns, I am fairly young and no longer have any female organs, so they seem to be non-issues at this time.

Related Reading: tumor | fatigue

Comment from: Fen55, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 11

This medicine has been a god send for me. I was unable to sleep at night due to night sweats and insomnia and now am sleeping so much better. The hot flashes have subsided almost completely after only about three weeks of HRT. It has been a miracle for me.

Comment from: Jeana, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 09

I had a complete hysterectomy at age 30, due to fibroid tumors, ovarian cycsts and adhesions. I have always had problems with my period, either being irregular or very painful and a lot of clots, since as far back as I can remember. My OB started me on Premarin while I was still in the hospital, however I got very ill after returning home and had to go without the pills for a week. It was a very miserable week, I had horrible hot flashes, night sweats, headaches, etc. I could not imagine having to be going through this with out the Premarin. My OB said for someone my age the advantages of taking a estrogen only pill far out way the risks. Since I have no female reproductive organs left I do not have to worry about the increase risk of cancer and for my age that is really the only risk. She said I will probably have to take it until I am around 50 years old then I can reasses. I started out taking .625mg per day, in June of 08 I recentaly went up to 1.25 mg per day due to increasing hot flashes, headaches and discharge. I have gained quite a bit of weight but I dont know if it was from this or the Lyrica that I was put on at the same time.

Related Reading: cancer | Lyrica

Comment from: sue, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 19

this medication has been a life saver for me.Never had a problem since my hysterectomy, my Dr. feels it would benifit me more than not. Very very happy to have it.

Comment from: Mona1946, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 25

I had a tubal ligation in 1977. Then in 1983 I had a complete hysterectomy after being diagnosed with endometriosis. I went on Premarin in 1983. Then in 1988 I had a car wreck that paralyzed my left side. My entire left side from my head to my foot still tingles all the time. As long as I take the Premarin (I am now 64) the tingling is minimal. I tried to stop taking the pill when I turned 60. Within 4 days, my speech became slurred, my face drooped on the left side, my left foot dragged when I walked, and my shoulders and neck hurt terribly. Within 24 hours of resuming the Premarin, the pain was gone, my speech was clear and I did not walk like a drunk. I have asked a doctor, a pharmacist and a physical therapist why Premarin does this. Not one could tell me any connection between the hormone and my weakness. I only know I will take it forever!

Related Reading: endometriosis

Comment from: rytw44, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been taking Premarin since 2000. I started @ the highest dose after a partial hysterectomy due to fibroids and a 2nd surgery due to pelvic abcess infection which left one ovary non functioning and with a cyst. Over the years my gyn and I have had discussions and reduced my dosage over time (currently @ .625). I tried to stop @ one point but the hot flashes, mood changes and inability to sleep drove me back. I have had no problems. I do get little bumps that come and go. Also, the patchy skin showed alot this summer. I have not gained weight. I still weigh the same as when I was 18. However, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and cholesterol problems after the birth of my son (pre-premarin). I take blood pressure medicine also. However, the Premarin has been a life-saver to me. I cannot stand the hot flashes. The sex drive has not changed for me.

Related Reading: high blood pressure | cholesterol