Prialt User Reviews

Prialt - User Reviews

Prialt User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Prialt sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: GodHelps , 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 14

I week ago, I started an IT pump trial with Prialt. On the second, fourth, and fifth days after trial initiation, I returned to the pain center and the med was increased slowly (started out with about 4 mcg/day, increased eventually to about 7 mcg/day). With the first increase, my pain improved (decreased). With each successive increase of Prialt, my pain increased and so did side effects. I became extremely dizzy, nauseated (with vomiting), confused, lethargic, my vision blurred, and I was unable to do anything but lie in bed and wonder what Prialt was doing to my brain. I had to use a wheelchair for mobility, and it became difficult to understand what others were saying. I was unable to read as the appearance of words confused me, and I could not write legibly because my hands shook violently. I developed a headache that was unbearable, and my blood pressure skyrocketed (systolic >160, diastolic >110). On the sixth day, I could no longer stand the side effects and the increased pain and I turned the pump off. At this point in time, I have been off Prialt for 21 hours and I am slowly returning to normal. Earlier today, the catheter and external pump were removed and my doctor did not hesitate to say that Prialt was not for me. I am a very methodical and analytical person, but after all I had been through, my response was, "Ya think?????" I entered into this Prialt trial because like most long-term chronic pain sufferers, I have tried just about everything else (epidurals, physical therapy, massage, chiropractic, TENS, SCS, narcotic pain meds (HATE THEM), pump trials with morphine and dilaudid, exercising on my own, etc. Obviously, to voluntarily submit to a Prialt trial I felt a sense of desperation and that I was running out of options to live a life relatively free of pain. I pray that something effective and serious side effect-free will be developed and come on the market soon. For me, Prialt does not fit that description.

Related Reading: headache | chronic pain

Comment from: Sidvicious, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 18

RSD for 8 yrs, best at relieving pain BUT, it's not worth the side effects I get. I've been on Prialt for over a year and I have gone through several bad experiences and I always stuck it out since the relief was so good. It's no longer worth it. I have no life, hardly leave the house and spend most of the time talking to myself.

Comment from: jonoshko, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 10

I had 2 spinal operations and was using morphine, roxicet and even harsher drugs which didn't help to ease the pain. I had a Medtronic pump inserted and even though there was some relief it was minimal. When my doctor told me about Prialt I jumped at the prospect of not having pain running down my legs and interferring with my ability to walk. Since I've had the pump (Prialt as the primary & fentanyl piggy backing)the pain is no longer in my legs. I will be ever thankful to that little snail and it's ooze. God bless researchers.

Related Reading: roxicet

Comment from: blandone, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 05

over fifty patients with pain pumps were put on prialt six months later I was one of the last to go to something else their was everything from severe swelling to bad mental side effects. I had miner swelling inmy hands and feet than I started slurring my words and started having severe anxiety attacks just leaving the house no one from the hospital I go to made it to the recommended dose before having to be took off it

Comment from: Lman, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 25

First off... if I didn't find these reviews I'd probably be institutionalized right now. This medicine did help my nerve pain (moderately) but the memory loss is horrible, I lost 50lbs in 6 months, I can't concentrate well, agitated, no motivation, have extreme anxiety and have a very very hard time being able to remember words or finish my sentences. Then... I started having a pungent perfumey like smell constantly, which started to become an obsession because no one else could smell it on me and it is so strong and disgusting. This slowly led up to a full blown manic episode lasting 5 to 7 days with no sleep (can't remember now), thoughts of not wanting to live anymore and perhaps boarder-line psychosis. I've been off this medication for over 2 weeks now but still suffer from some of these side effects, but they're slowly going away (THANK YOU GOD!). Again, I can't stress enough how these reviews helped me because my doctor never mentioned these side effects and definitely should have but took me off of it right away. I'm glad this medication has helped many people, but be careful if considering taking this medication and READ ABOUT THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS FIRST!

Related Reading: sleep | stress

Comment from: Brown eyes, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 03

My husband was put on Prialt after 6 yrs.of chronic pain due to surgical procedure to remove part of a lung. Nerve damage. This is a drug from HELL. Hears music,complete personality change. Jekll and Hyde. Nause vomiting no appetite. He now weighs 128 lbs. Says he just wants to die as he cannot go on this way. Sleeps when he can or lays in bed. Told Drs. This and only give more pills. Depression and anxiety. How can you not feel these things. Has effected our whole family and grandkids. Gets aggressive and I want to leave, sad thing is after he acts this way he feels bad as if he has no control. He feels sick all the time and hardly goes anywhere. I could go on and on. Pain is worse now than ever. I am glad it has helped other people but the Naha seem more than the yeahs. I just want my husband back.

Related Reading: Depression