Prilosec User Reviews

Prilosec - User Reviews

Prilosec User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Prilosec sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: doloresfaye@sbcglobal.net, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 09

I have suffered Reflux since 1972 and only found relief when prilosec came on the market. But I now have a concern about the length of time I have been taking the medication. I am suffereding from lack of energy to an extreme and I am concerned about B12 absorbtion caused by length of treatment. Also last week during an endoscopic it was discovered that I have polyops attached to the lining of my stomach. It seems that there is quite a few of them. My Reflux is so severe that I can't do without some sort of medication.

Related Reading: B12

Comment from: annieC, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 04

The medication works great for the acid reflux disease but the side effects are rough. I have gained weight, my legs swell, I feel and uncomfortable physical fullness but stay hungry all the time. I have alot of pain in my knees. I feel very tired all the time. I can not lose any weight at all no matter what I do, so it's like fighting a losing battle because if I could lose weight then I wouldn't have to take the medication. I also have very disturbing dreams. I wake up with tingling legs and hands. I know the effects are from the medication because if I don't take it they go away. I need the medicine for the acid reflux so I just don't know what to do.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 08

Made me extremely ill due to retention of fluids and excess gas. Also had irregular heartbeat, lethargy, paranoia. Have been off of it for almost 3 months and feeling so much better. Still have rebound but better to tough it out than take this stuff! My advice: try lifestyle changes first!

Comment from: micbar68, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 16

Prilosec 20 mg had been very helpful to me. I have suffered for years with gastro problems and acid reflux. The only thing I don't like is that my stomach gets bloated really bad and I feel full all the time. I only take it when I have flare-ups because of that reason. A few days after I quit taking it the bloating and the full feeling goes away. I do feel tired all the time but never really thought of this medication being the cause (after reading other reviews). I have been on this medication for over a year and it has helped me.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 23

I took Prilosec/Prevacid for 7 years and found that when you try to wean off you'll experience acid rebound and it's 100x worse than regular reflux. It made me extremely sick. I also found out that I have osteoporosis after years of taking these pills and have since read articles linking these drugs to bone loss. If you have reflux, you may want to have a HIDA scan to check your gallbladder. About a year ago, I had my gallbladder removed and the reflux is almost gone & can be controlled with just Zantac.

Related Reading: Prevacid | osteoporosis

Comment from: DEC, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 21

I have GERD as well as a small sliding hiatus hernia. I have used Tagamet, Zantac, Pepcid, and now 40 mg Prilosec (the latter for the last several years). Each one of these medications has provided superior relief over the prior. Prilosec has been the very best to date and I essentially get complete relief from its use.

Related Reading: hernia | Tagamet | Pepcid

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 06

I've had acid reflux for my entire adult life (40+ years). My father had acid reflux all his life (82 years). I took this medication one morning and haven't had stomache problems since. It worked the first day! Must have something to do with B-12, iron, vitamin D absorption. The only side effect might be lethargy. 10 days into the initial 14 day treatment I was exhausted. Sleeping all day Saturday helped, but I'm still not as energetic as I was.

Comment from: kiwi, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 19

This medication has greatly helped my acidic stomach issues but I am now concerned about some side effects that may be related to this med. I, too, am experiencing hair loss and lack of energy. I have also been diagnosed with anemia but with not apparent cause. Recently I have also experienced a generalized anxiety. I am wondering if these symptoms are related to the prilosec. I have also had major issues with frequent sinus infections and noticed that one of the side effects of prilosec is sinus issues, although this is rare. My thyroid checks out o.k. Anybody have any of these same experiences?

Related Reading: anemia | anxiety