Propecia User Reviews

Propecia - User Reviews

Propecia User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Propecia sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: jlcDE, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 10

Started having bald spots when I was 23.Rogaine didnt do anything for me.I started taking Propecia,and within six months I started seeing results.Seven years later,I have the same amount of hair,but my hairline is receding slowly at the temples.I would recommend this drug.The drawbacks are the high cost and a slower sex drive.

Related Reading: Propecia

Comment from: kmarie690, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 23

My son takes this medication since he started losing his hair at 19. Working pretty well so far. Believe his hair has stopped thinning. Anyway, I have found the generic for about $129 for a 6 month supply. I researched the generic and says it has the same chemical makeup and seems to be working for my son.

Comment from: Greg, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 09

This is strangly one of the most largely undiscovered treatment for hair loss. So many men waste their time with rogaine or other bs products and never try the real thing. Downside is cost, but then again its definitly worth it.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 31 year old male that has been taking this medication for the past three years. Once my hair started thinning when I was 28 years old, I started Propecia. I have had great results with the medication. Another great thing about it is I work out alot and use supplements. It blocks DHT and keeps the prostate from enlargeing. The only down side to the medication is that it is very expensive and most insurance will not cover it.

Related Reading: DHT

Comment from: Dave, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 10

I've been using Propecia for about 10 years and it seems to be working very well. However, I'm still losing hair in the crown area but at a very slow rate. Overall, I'm very happy with Propecia. I wish I could find it a little cheaper. It's expensive!

Comment from: DH, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 20

I was 25 when I started the medicine -- while certainly I didn't regrow a full head of hair, a layer enough to cover all empty areas grew back. Unfortunately, I am one that had serious ED as a side effect. I just stopped taking and am hoping I am not one of the permanent ED cases of long-term Propecia users.

Comment from: Maneman, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 09

I have been taking finasteride for over 10 years now, I started with Propecia, now I split Proscar in 5 pieces and take the recommended 1mg a day. Although I dont have as much hair as in my 20s, Finasteride has without a doubt slowed down the balding process, I know I am thinning, but slowly, my brother who is 4 years older and never took this drug is almos completely bald. The only "side effects" I have experienced are, not a loss of sex drive but a decrease of amount of semen ejaculated, this by no means made me "sterile", as a matter of fact, in 2001 I got my wife pregnant and have now a normal male child, and I say normal since I was a little worried about somehow affecting the pregnancy by this medication since the warnings are so clear with pregnant women to stay away from this medication etc. Another side effect was the loss of hair on my back and chest, not completely but at least 50%, not too many people know I take Finasteride for my head hair yet they noticed my loss of hair around the chest, used to be very hairy around the chest so its obvious, last but not least my nipples appeared to have swollen a bit as well. All of these effects are not bad for me, the good outweighs the bad. Good luck, give this drug a try, it works, the sooner taken the better the results. I almost forgot, if you are being screened for prostate enlargement, the normal "bendover" check will be innacurate since this drug in 5mg form is given to reduce the enlargement of the prostate, which as a side note is how they noticed the "side effect" of hair regrowth back in the day. A more accurate PSA screening is recommended where they can compensate the level results with the amount of Finasteride taken.

Related Reading: Proscar | pregnancy

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm 40 yr. old male who has now taken this medication for a year. My Doc had taken a pic of my scalp upon the on set of the written script. and an other one yr. later. the result is approx. 30% more hair in the effected area. I've been told this will continue to improve over time? To what extent. I'm hoping for a 60-80% improvement over a two year period. The only major draw back to this medication is the price....approx. $75 per month...