Propylthiouracil User Reviews

Propylthiouracil - User Reviews

Propylthiouracil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Propylthiouracil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: june, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 01

I recently had my thyroid out due to nodules on my thyroid discovered by my gyn not my endo dr. I was on PTU for 9 yrs. My surgeon said my thyroid hardened due to autoimmune symtoms relating to taking PTU. Such as Lupus side effect. Now I am being treated for hypoparathyroidism (I take 4500mg of calcium a day @ the clock) and still recovering from surgery. My thyroid was imbedded in neck muscles making it difficult in swallowing, talking, and turning my head. I wish now that I knew more about PTU and other options. My surgeon also told me that PTU is a form of chemotherpy...shocking.

Related Reading: Lupus | hypoparathyroidism

Comment from: Britney, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 26

I have only been taking PTU a short time but, so far it has worked. Although, I am still suffering some of the symptoms they have decreased substantially. The pills do leave a bitter taste in your mouth but, only if they touch your tongue. For this I recommend covering the pill completely in a spoonful of applesauce or yogurt and then swallowing as soon as it hits your mouth. By doing so I am no longer experiencing the bitterness at all.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 17

Have been on medication for over 8 weeks, no shnc=ge in thyroid levels. Feel very tired, weak, and increased heart rate (take endoral for this), can not even exercise because I am so out of breath now...not sure It is working...

Comment from: MonaLisa, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 27

I had very little problem with this drug.My Dr increases or decreased as needed. She tripled my dosage then, I ran a temperature every night with fever and chills. I began to have bruising on my ear lobes and face, lupus like symptoms. I could not go outside for more than 15 mins because my heart fluttering and I could not breath in the heat. All these were side affects my Specialist denied, I finally got medical attention when my PCP saw that I could not raise myself off the table with wanting to throw up. There are 3 degrees of side affects...I had all of them in one extreme or another, I also have Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. I was hospitalized for 4 days. My thyroid was at toxic levels! Surgery with complete thyroidectomy leaving the parathyroid. Eighteen months later I finally feel good-minus the anxiety and depression. Read your pharmacy hand outs, check Web MD and if your specialist denies your side affect could be related to PTU...get another Doctor! And if you can't take PTU, you can't take any of the anti thyroid drugs cause they all have about the same side affects.

Related Reading: fever | Primary Biliary Cirrhosis | anxiety

Comment from: Will, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 28

Ok heres my story, I've know since 16yoa I have had graves disease/ Hyperthyroid. I had no way to treat my condition for some time. I visited a Dr at 23yoa who related that I in fact had a hyperthyroid. At first the Dr prescribed propanolol, which made me feel aweful, so I stopped taking the medication. For years I've dealt with pounding heart beat, heart beat skipping, shaking hands, the appearance of nervousness, headaches I would ignore. Additionally I had more energy than anyone around me, but this is not a good feature. As of this date, Feb 2010, I recently experienced what I can only assume was a heart flutter in my upper atrial portion of my heart. It felt as if I had a hamster in my chest. I decided to lie down, and even at rest the fluttering continued. (15) minutes later, with still no relief, I drove to a 24 medical center where they immediately nearly slammed me on a bed and was injecting me with medication, and crap. the fluttering stopped after a short time, and the staff transported me to a telemetry heart floor. (Note: I was the youngest person on this floor of the hospital, what an uneasy feeling). According to the cardiologist, the flutter may have been the result of not taking care of my thyroid issue. (Suggestion to all who read this), take the thyroid med no matter how it makes you feel, and discuss with your Dr any systom or side effects you experience. The biggest pain in Forida is finding an endocrinologist who will actually see you for more than one visit. Back on topic, I am takig this medication identified as Propylthiouracil (50)mg tablets. I have been taking the meds 2xday/ x1 every 6 hours. The actual dosage x2 3xday. This sounds like a lot to me, and I don't want to have liver damage down the road. I have noticed improvement. Hand shaking is minimal and no pounding heart be as yet. Duration of medication consumption x1 mth. Support always appreciated, ty for reading. Will (w_leffew@hotmail.com).

Related Reading: Propylthiouracil | liver

Comment from: vawendyann, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 07

Began taking this drug at age 12 until age 18 when after radioactive iodine I had a sub-total thyroidectomy. While on this drug I experienced stomach pain. Years later, I began to experience muscle and joint pain, tingling, and weakness first in my legs then arms. Also numbness on the right side of my face. I gradually became numb in most of my left foot and areas of my right foot and legs. After 13 years of medical tests and specialists, my doctor says it is Peripheral Neuropathy but has not found a definite cause. I am beginning to suspect the 6 years of being on Propylthiouracil might be the cause. Any help researching this would be welcome.

Related Reading: Peripheral Neuropathy