Propylthiouracil User Reviews

Propylthiouracil - User Reviews

Propylthiouracil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Propylthiouracil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 01

Was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in pregnancy and the Dr. prescribed PTU. My dose was pretty high, 2 pills x 3 times a day, but within 2 months, I suffered acute liver failure as a result of the PTU. Had a liver transplant in August 2009 and thyroidectomy thereafter...

Related Reading: hyperthyroidism | pregnancy

Comment from: Moe, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 15

I started out on Tapazole and I was sick everyday, allday. I had to stop the meds when I went on vacation. My Dr changed it to PTU and I feel 100% better. No side effects. I can deal with the bitter taste for 5 min afterwards.

Related Reading: Tapazole

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been on this medication for the last week. For months i have been experiencing irritablity, depression, my nervous are shot 24/7, i use to weigh about 98-100lbs and i dropped 10 in one week, i get hot flashes behind my neck and all over my joint areas, i have been having outrageous mood swing almost lost my friends over this crap, i feel out of control and nervous my heart is always racing and i tremble all the time, my hair falls out in large amounts im only 22 and dealing with this crap all ready and i have felt so out of control never use to be that way i tried to take methmazole or w/e it is that put me in the hospital after to weeks, i went to an endo who said i dont have a hyperthyroid...my bw and thyroid scan disagree he shunned me off and gave me crazy pills..i now see a dr at a gyn who has given me ptu...no shakes...no nerves going nuts, less hair falling out..besides sore muscles which i can handle and medium nausea and headaches..so far so good it takes time but its doing the job so far...we shall see the improvement if any more in a few months! fingers are crossed! gl to anyone else

Related Reading: depression | hot flashes

Comment from: sms_jan, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 14

I have been through HELL. I have aortic stenosis, my Dr. prescribed this med, my heart nearly flew out of my chest. He kept upping my blood pressure meds. The only way that I found out that this med was NOT to be taken by heart patients was through this website. Honestly, I am sure that I was dying, I was well on my way to a major heart attack. The surgeon that was to take out the thyroid said "No Way", "the shape that your heart is in now, I can not put you to sleep." I know the awful taste that was spoken about on this site, it was terrible, it kept comming back. I was also very jittery and restless, anxious. This may sound gross, for that I do apologize, but my urine made me ill, the smell was sickening. I quit the med cold turkey when I read the info. I will report it to FDA site, I will also call the number listed, as the paper that I received when I first got this medication filled said NOTHING, NOTHING at all about killing you if you have heart trouble. Beware if you are taking this medication, make sure that your heart does not have any, ANY type of problem, including a murmur, no matter how slight. Honestly, I cannot caution you enough; this medication has really hurt me.

Related Reading: aortic stenosis | heart attack | sleep

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 29

At first effective at treating my hyperthyroidism during pregnancy. Have since had my child and after a short break without it, am back on the medication. I've developed a serious rash, joint pain, headache and fever that may be attributed to the medication. Please talk to your doctor immediately if you notice any unusual changes in your body. I am now forced to consider radioactive iodine treatment earlier than expected.

Related Reading: rash | headache

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 17

I have periodically been on and off this drug since 2002. My Grave's Disease is completely controlled by it and I gradually go off the meds as Grave's goes into remission. The only effect I have from this drug is that it works COMPLETELY, and effectively! To deal with the taste I put it way in the back of my throat and must be sure to swallow it with the first gulp of water - then there is NO bad after taste. If that is the only problem that you have with the drug, then be very happy that a drug can completely elimiate all of the bad parts of Grave's with such a trivial side effect!