Propylthiouracil User Reviews

Propylthiouracil - User Reviews

Propylthiouracil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Propylthiouracil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: christy, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 10

I have been on PTU since 2001. The med is only bitter to me after i take it. Its horrible. I would rather take PTU than have surgery. I am experiencing the numbness and stomach pains as said in other reviews. I have an appt. with Doc. to discuss this. If you have these symptoms you should also discuss with your Doc.

Comment from: boomobile, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 23

When I was 14 I was the 9th person ever to be diagnosed with drug-induced hepatitis within the US. For those of you who refuse to take this drug - I understand I am one of the 1 in 100 to have a severe allergic reaction to it - my liver shut down, and I got a nasty rash. I was hospitalized and got off the drug, but this presented another problem. No way to treat my hyperthyroidism. Long story short, my thyroid was removed completely, and now I take T4 replacement hormone for the rest of my life. It's much better than migraines, vomiting, shakiness, pounding heart, weight loss (unhealthy), super sensitive reflexes, and over all jitters.

Related Reading: hepatitis

Comment from: Mom-on-Meds, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 09

I've read all the reviews posted and for me, I discovered that the fatigue, weakness and inability to sleep was not the medication but my condition. It does take a while to take effect. I started out taking in 2x's per day but my blood tests weren't evening out which my endo. recommended I take it 3x's per day. My hair and nails started to grow back strong which let me know it was working. I also took the propranolol to help with my heart rate. My only problem was I was breast feeding my child and the doctor recommended I stop. He was not very sympathic to the fact I had a child and thought I could just cut my baby off cold turkey. I would find myself not taking it when I was around her but I'd take the meds at work. I also noticed when I didn't take it for say a week and tried to start it again, I'd have a reaction with my skin.

Related Reading: fatigue | breast

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 03

I have been on 2 a day for a year. My last blood work showed my white blood cells were 2.7, below normal, I find bruises and my gums bleed when brushing my teeth, my leg muscles are weakening, at some points I forget things..all this has been since I started the Propylthiouracil.

Related Reading: bruises

Comment from: htopcat12@aol.com, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 15

Medication is easy to take but the side effects have been difficult to deal with. My G.p prescribed propranolol 80mg mr capules t allieviate some of the unplesant shaking and anxiety. These worked well for me and I continued to take at same time as antithyroid medication roughly every eight hours, I stopped shaking and was able to go out without feeling too anxious, now another medical person requests that all three capules are taken in one go at night, I don't understand why.

Comment from: nanna_1961_@yahho.com, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 16

My exp. has been over all well with the PTU. I hated the bad taste left in my mouth I had to deal with 3 times a day, but hey its saving me from other treatments such as surgery and all that other radioactive stuff. To anyone taking PTU deal with it. It will help you stay kicking high for you and your family. A 27 year old mother of 3 says thank you PTU with a big hug and a nasty taste in my mouth all at the same time!! LOL

Comment from: daleesai, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 13

Id been diagnose with GD. Just taking this PTU 200mg/d for 2 mo, makes my thyroid level back to normal except for TSH, then my dose lower to 100 mg/d, after 3 mo. All my levels are normal, incl TSH. Now Im on 50 mg/d. Since Id been taking this pill, I hv no adverse rcn. fr. it, so far.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 28

It will be 4 years since I first started taking PTU. The drug has worked very well for me. I take a very low dose now 1 50mg pill a day, this was after the first three months of twice a day 4 50 mg pills. The taste was awfully bitter; then I did lose the ability to taste most bitter things. I do not wish to still be on any med. Waiting to have a more permanent solution like surgery or radiological drug. Due to an additional issue with an over-active Parathyroid gland that has not shown up in scans to pinpoint surgery; still waiting to treat both with surgery at the same time.