Proscar User Reviews

Proscar - User Reviews

Proscar User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Proscar sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: themission, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 29

I have used Proscar for 15 years now. It has been quite effective in initially lowering and then keeping PSA levels less than 3. It has mostly eliminated day and night frequency of urination. Other factors such as diuretics sometines interfere with this action.

Related Reading: Proscar | diuretics

Comment from: Happy2P, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 13

It has done what it was expected to do with the side effect of a reduced libido. A good trade off since the alternative was not being able to urinate. It helped in reducing my PSA from 13.3 to less than 1.0 in addition to reducing the size of my prostate. I had a prostate biopsy completed (no picnic), however, that did determine that I had BPH not prostate cancer.

Related Reading: prostate cancer

Comment from: BillyBaloo, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 31

I took this drug for about two years and then my breast began to enlarge slightly. After continuing to take the drug my left breast became really sore to lay on or rub against anything. I stopped taking the drug when my GP told me it was probably causing the condition. I went to my urologist and he told me there was nothing he could do. My breast is larger and more tender now after 6 months off of the drug. Is there a treatment?

Related Reading: breast

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 05

My use of finisteride resulted in less (but not total elimination) of urgency of urination within several weeks of start of use a few years ago. Dribbling after urination was eliminated for years until recently. My PSA test results have remained at the same low level (0.2) throughout. There was no reduction in sex drive or ability to achieve erections. There is a noticable reduction in amount of semen at orgasm. No other side effects have been noted. After several years of use, some symptoms are returning, notably starting and stopping of urination, bladder not fully emptying, and some dribbling after urination. I feel I have to push urine out to more completly empty my bladder than in earlier use of the drug. I am 69 years old.

Comment from: rfwilliams79, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 09

Proscar has cause me to develop tender nipples and enlargement of my breast. My doctor took me off this medication since it was causing me more harm than good. I was on that drug for many years.It is a bad drug and should be taken off the market.

Comment from: Jok 38, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 31

Taking medication for over one year. Urinate every 2 hrs. Psa 2. Dr. said when you take Proscar you must double the PSA# so I guess my real PSA is 4. Had 2 biopsies, negative. Decreased Libido(sex urge). I wonder if there is something better than Proscar

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 20

Saw improvement in urinary symptoms within 3 months: better stream, better able to hold urine upon getting urge to urinate, less dribbling.

Comment from: T. Charles, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm 53 and was prescribed Proscar to reduce my prostate. I was on this drug for 6 months when I realized a little reduction in prostate and an extraordinary reduction in sex drive, inability to maintain an erection, reduced semen, shrinking penis and enlarged, tender breasts. Fun times. . .NOT! I quit in the hopes of regaining my manhood. All my doctor said was I would grow hair as a side effect. Oops, left out a little information Doc.

Comment from: NeedHelp, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 16

I initially started taking Proscar for enlarged prostate after about 2 years, my doctor added Flomax. I hate these drugs even though they work pretty well for the prostate condition, however the treatment is worse than the cure. I can't get an erection, no semen, enlarged sensitive breasts, less of an appetite for sex.

Related Reading: Flomax