Protonix User Reviews

Protonix - User Reviews

Protonix User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Protonix sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 11

Have been on it protonix for awhile BAD side effects,shortness of breath,heart rate,chest pain, bowel changes,upset stomach,dizziness,ringing ears and many more,WOULD NOT TAKE AT ALL.

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: Eucharist, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 13

I tried Nexium and it was like taking nothing; didn't work at all. My MD prescribed Protonix and it has worked wonders although I've been taking it for a number of years; wondering if I need to go off it---then my Medco, my insurance company, refused to pay for it;sent Nexium instead without asking me; I had to pay for the Nexium--Medco did not respond to my inquiries---- so my current MD gave me samples until I can get to my new MD due to moving; I also have a new insurance company--YEAH! Don't recommend MEDCO at all. Thanks to Protonix I can now sleep at night and function during the day without feeling like I'm having a heart attack!

Related Reading: sleep | heart attack

Comment from: tjmppg, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 07

This drug worked great at first - couldn't manage without it! Eventually I was switched to the quite-a-bit less expensive generic version when it became available. The pain & reflux returned! Finally figured out what changed & got back on the expensive name brand Protonix. It helped somewhat, (better than nothing), but was still having reflux issues requiring additional antacids. After doing some research I found that Protonix is on the Best Pills/Worst Pills' "Worst Pills" list. Finally saw another Dr. who prescribed "Carafate". I have to take it 4 times a day, but I'm delighted to say that I was able to wean myself off of Protonix! You have to do it gradually, going cold turkey doesn't work. I'm finally off of this horrible, expensive & harmful drug! It "worked" for several years, but now I too have vision problems (floating things). Also have stomach polyps now that were caused by the long term use of this PPI. I still have to avoid spicy foods, but I wanted to share with others out there what is working for me. I hope this helps others.

Related Reading: antacids | Carafate

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 01

I have been taking this for 5+ years to treat severe GERD caused by hiatal hernia. This is the one and only med that seems to work to stop the hot-lava pain that I live with otherwise. Insurance doesn't want to pay for it and the generic form does not work at all for me. If I miss even 3 doses, the pain returns full force.

Related Reading: hiatal hernia

Comment from: Rosie Day, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 04

Has an awful experience with Protonix. Had severe abdominal pain. Ended up in ER. Had to take Percaset to get through the night. Then my doctor doubled the dose. I had shortness of breath, insomnia, anxiety. Second trip to ER for intense esophogeal pressure.(Felt like I couldn't breathe) Finally figured out it was the 80 mg dose of Protonics. Stopped taking the medicine but it still took over 48 hours for the med to leave my system and get relief. Am afraid to try any other drug because the base ingredient is the same.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | insomnia

Comment from: tiredofthis, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 05

Switched from Zegerid to Protonix. Drug store gave me the generic form. It's working just ok. Wondering if the name brand might be better. Anyone having numbness and tingling in the extremities, shortness of breath, fatigue, memory loss, white spots on the skin,constipation or diarrhea should have their B12 and Folate checked. These proton pump inhibitors after extended use can cause you to become B12 deficient. Everyone using these drugs should have this checked. Please google B12 deficiency and read symptoms and what this deficiency can lead to if not gotten under control.Some doctors are dumb as dirt and don't suggest this. Especially with older patients.

Related Reading: Zegerid | constipation | diarrhea