Protopic User Reviews

Protopic - User Reviews

Protopic User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Protopic sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Published: November 13

I used this medicine for 1 week. My face was better for about a week and then it came back so I am using it again. It makes you feel very hot. Do not use and drink!

Comment from: Andy Chew, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 30

I have atopic dermatitis since 7 years ago.Initially, it had been wrongly diagnosed as neurodermatitis,and I was using many types of steroid medine for the fisrt 4 years until their curing effects became less and less.After a two year break, I start to use protopic from December 2007 ntil now,October 2008 as I was diagnosed to have atopic dermatitis at the end of last year .I apply this ointment only when the symptome appears and try to apply protopic only on the affected skin(the whole neck including the upper chest and back part connecting to the neck, though it would inevitably cover some part of the surrounding healthy skin) I apply to those area once daily and ususally for 6 consecutive days at night before sleep.Severe side effects such as serious itch and burning feeling of the applied area always occurs at the 1st,2nd,3rd day of use and will disappear from the fourth day with the improvement of the dermatitis symptom.I have to take medicine like Centrizine to relieve these side effects for the first 2 days.I try to minimise the use of the drug by reducing the usage time to once a day and repeat this 6-day cycle every 10~14days knowing the medicine is probably linked to cancers.So far I have finished using 5 tubes of 10g(0.1%) in a year time. The medicine is effective in relieving the AD symptom but I am also worried about the side effects including burning/itchy feeeling,links to cancer and depression(in my case),esp. after reading many articles regaring the links of this drug to cancers.I've decided to discontinue the drug when I finish this 1-year treatment and to go for a thorough medical checkup to see whether I am at a higher risk to get cancers afterall, though I know there may be no better treatment for my skin condition yet.

Related Reading: atopic dermatitis | protopic | sleep

Comment from: rochmom, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 29

I have had dermatitis since I was six months old and have tried many, many prescription and otc drugs for it. Protopic by FAR works the best and the fastest. Within a couple of days no itching or redness or flaking. Also works well on my four year old son who has the same thing.

Related Reading: itching

Comment from: spacie, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 13

I had atopic dermatitis on my eyelid with one treatment it went away. No more swelling or itching or embarrassing questions about eye being swollen

Published: March 28

Protopic clears up my excema flare ups. I can apply makeup over it, and not worry about the interaction. I only use it when I have the flare ups, and it works!

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 04

I have had severe atopic dermatitis for many years. I have visited many dermatologists and they gave me hydrocortisone creams which barely help temporarily. Finally went to a allergist specialist and she took the initiative to fix the problem. I am currently taking a very high doseage prednesone, hydroxyine, and putting the Protopic on affected areas. Unfortunately the ''affected areas'' are my entire body and the bottle of protobic ointment is gone after two days. I do not understand how they can recommend me to use the ointment twice a day when it covers my entire body because I already need my last refill, and at $300 a bottle it is ridiculous.. The protopic does work for my flare ups and I'd say 80% of my body has healed almost completely. Unfortuneately I do know that with ointments like this the flare ups will come back with a vengeance, but it such an amazing feeling to have this relief and to actually see my skin cleared after such a painful and mentally draining condition that this is. I will continue to see the doctor and maybe the prednesone will help, or something else will in the long run. Thank you Protopic for my relief! Best ointment I have tried in years.

Related Reading: hydrocortisone

Comment from: going crazy, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 21

Worse medication I have ever used. Doctor gave me samples of this for dermatitis and told me to use it on my eyebrows, eyelids,around my nose, upper lip and a thin layer on the lips. Didn't put two and two together until after 4 days of use that the dry mouth, nose, burning face, lips, plus swelling of my bottom lip use due to the medication. Never again will this be used by me and now I have to reap the consequences of these side effects because I cannot take allergy medications or cortisone. I am drinking as much water as possible to wash it out of my system and praying that my thoart does not close up.

Related Reading: dry mouth | allergy