Purinethol User Reviews

Purinethol - User Reviews

Purinethol User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Purinethol sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: dj, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 08

I am on for Colitis which I was diagnosed 3 years ago. Tried other treatments ... they worked on and off. Prednisone still the miracle drug for me - but I have been off of that for 4 months with no issues. I have been on 6MP alone with no other supplements since stopping prednisone - I have no side effects to the drug and I am finally feeling that I again live a normal life.

Related Reading: Colitis

Comment from: mom2zoemarie, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 01

treatment for crohn's disease past 7 years. not able to take 5-asa's (sulfasalazine, etc.) effectively so had to find an alternative treatment. very mild side effects & my life has improved dramatically since treating w/ 6mp. have not had one serious flare since i began this treatment.

Related Reading: crohn's disease

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 27

Purinethol worked immediately after a dozen years of trying steroids and antibiotics. No perceptible side effects. Has changed my life and lifestyle. Have been able to function as a normal individual for the first time in over a dozen years.

Related Reading: Purinethol

Comment from: ablelady2002, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 20

Was on this medication for 2 week for Crohns and was hospitalized with a fever of 103. Ended up with Pancreatitis from this medication. I know this is rare, but please be cautious if you develop a fever, vomiting, aches and lower abdominal pains. Don't waste time, go directly to the ER.

Related Reading: fever | Pancreatitis

Comment from: mh, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 17

Allergic to sulfasalazine, Colazol/Asacol ineffective in treating steriod dependant UC - tried Purinethol - Massive allergic reaction - 106 fever, spine and joints freezing up in pain, hives, spots on tongue - several doctors unable to diagnose - discontinued drug. In remission on nicotine therapy.

Related Reading: Asacol | hives | nicotine

Comment from: Jeff, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 05

It works and I can function in a normal life style. I do not know what is down the road for me for now it is the durg for me. It make have an effect on my outlook on life, I am told I am more aggression with people especially with the family. I am hoping the longer I take it that will change.

Comment from: las, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 29

drug used for treating crohn's. Currently in remission.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 09

While this drug has helped me with my colitis for the most part, my Dr. did not warn me ahead of time that I cannot come off of it. Also my specialist never told me the birth defects and harm that could happen if I get pregnant. I am 33 and want children and just learned from my main Dr. that if I get pregnant while on th is drug the child willmost likely have severe birth defects. Now I don't know what to do and what medication to take going forward. I wish my speicialist would have covered this information prior to me ever starting this medication. It will be a sad day if I learn I cannot have children because of this drug. Also, I have had to closely monitor my blood levels and have walked a fine line with having the dosage high enough to work but low enough so my white blood cells and hemoglobin don't go too low. It has been really tricky but usually 2 tablets a day is best for me but sometimes they force me to drop to 1.5/day which usually means my colitis symptoms will start to come back.

Related Reading: birth defects