Purinethol User Reviews

Purinethol - User Reviews

Purinethol User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Purinethol sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: cmg, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had ulcerative colitis for over 20 years now, and since I started a daily regimen of purinethol my flare ups have subsided. I take asacol two times a day and a multi vitamin and purinethol once daily. i am afraid of the side effects, but the positive lifestyle changes have warranted the possible side effects in the future. with exercise and consistency in taking my meds, i have limited the episodes of flare ups to minor ones every six months or so (non hospital stays). Good luck to all who have inflammatory bowel diseases, they are no fun!!

Related Reading: ulcerative colitis

Comment from: martoons, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 21

I had severe crohns disease for 20 years and had 2 resecction surgeries. after a month of taking Puri-Nethol I was in hospital with pancreatitis. I spent 11 day in intensive care and 6 MONTHS in hospital. I could not eat for all of those 6 months. I was very very sick and was told i had a 1 in 4 mortality rate. Before I went into hospital I had night sweats and bloating so i was not told by doctors what to look out for. I would reccomend that you take this drug with EXTREME caution. While i was in hospital i got a blood clot in my neck, i got septicemia after they put in a biliary stent, i got fluid on the lung, i had blackouts from not eating and lost 5 and half stone in weight. I cna easily this was the worst time of my life. and a week after i returned from hospital my husband told me our marriage was over. so this drug took everything from me. I am off most medicines and the only drugs i take now are zydol to help with regularity and creon for the pancreas so pleses make sure and keep an eye on any side effects no matter how small. it could save your life.

Related Reading: night sweats | creon

Comment from: Ernie, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 11

I have autoimmune hepatitis. Because I was allergic to Imuran and its generic, I was given Mercaptopurine and have been on it for 3+ years after taking prednisone for 4 months. It has worked wonderfully with few side effects. However, I have started having trouble with urinary tract infections. Over the three years, from having 1 to 2 a year, this year I have had 4--the last 2 coming within 8 wks of each other. I was taking Bactrim's generic and it became ineffective. With the urinary infection, I have terrible abdominal and back pain, swelling, trouble urinating, burning, and fever for about 2 days. I have stopped the mercaptopurine to see if it is causing that problem, despite my Dr's objection. Does anyone else have this problem with this drug?

Related Reading: hepatitis | Imuran | Bactrim

Comment from: Cheryle, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 05

I am taking 50mg of purinethol per day also 25mg prednisolne, I am experiencing not so much dizzy ,but feeling like I am in a goldfish bowl looking out. I get hot flushes & sometimes my heart seems to race.

Comment from: sher, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 06

It caused Pancreatitus for me. Most pain I've ever been in. 1week in hospital trying to figure out. Temp of 103, very rapid heartrate, severe hydration and another week in different hosp where they finally figured it out. Wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 04

This drug is awesome. I love drugs.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 01

This drug is awesome. I love drugs.

Comment from: tweetybird, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 02

I have had ulcerative colitis for 20 yrs. I have been on lots of meds and suppositories. This medication has given me back my life. I am worried about long term affects which have not been documented yet. Overall, amazing pill.