Qualaquin User Reviews

Qualaquin - User Reviews

Qualaquin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Qualaquin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: karsushi, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 03

For about seven years I took quinine for severe nightly thigh cramps. They stopped for about 18 mos. When they returned on a nightly basis quinine had been taken off the market and this much more expensive version(Qualaquin) was in it's place. My cramps were so severe I'd have to go to the hospital. My Doctor finally wrote RX for Qualaquin and said to read the new warnings. This does eliminate the cramps when nothing else will. I wouldn't take it if anything else would work. I'm desperate for relief. I take and it works. Why is it sooo expensive?

Comment from: nancyd, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 27

I was on quinine for SEVERE muscle cramps. These were systemic and occurred anytime, day or night. Quinine helped to control the spasms. I suddenly developed life threatening ITP with extensive internal bleeding and external bruising,6/06. My Dr ask me to sign a DNR. I was only 54. At the time this developed I was only taking the quinine on an as needed basis,2 or 3 times/month, when I would have a severe attack. My Dr had heard of possible problems with it and had changed me to Valium. After I developed the ITP I had to be on multiple extended courses of high dose prednisone. When ever I would get off the prednisone, within a month or two the ITP would return. I eventually had to have my spleen removed. The ITP has not returned since then, 11/07. The prednisone caused even worse muscle spasms than I had before. I've also developed insulin dependent diabetis since the prednisone treatment. I can no longer work, I was a nurse and now my immune system is shot due to no spleen. I'm really glad to see this drug removed from use in the treatment of muscle spasms. The benifits diffinently don't outweigh the risks. I still get the muscle spasms, so considering how much taking quinine cost me in health issues, it just was not worth taking. It didn't "cure" them and the valium and muscle relaxants work just as well.

Related Reading: muscle cramps | internal bleeding | Valium

Comment from: lessgovernment, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 30

IT IS ONE MEDICATION THAT HAS HELPED ME IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE IT HELPS MY SEVERE ARTRITIS AS WELL FOR 25 YEARS IT STOPPED ALL LEG SPASMS WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS FOR TWENTY FIVE YEARS EXCEPT THE ONE DAY I DIDIDN'T TAKE IT AND I GOT NAILED TO THE WALL WITH LEG SPASMS ALL DAY.

Comment from: momwant2know, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 16

crampy hands, feel sick on the stomach

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 24

For Leg Cramps Works very well I found it's the only thing that does work

Comment from: RestlessLegs, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 22

Was taking for nighttime restless leg issues and it was an excellent treatment--and it used to be CHEAP--but not after it was patented, many years after it was invented. Unfortunately, I recently had to cease taking it because I have been diagnosed with Stage 3 kidney failure (from long-term use of NSAIDS). The quinine likely exacerbated the analgesic kidney effect. I really wish I could use it again. Incidentally, I lived in Nigeria from 1960 until 1966, and did have malaria, even taking quinine tablets daily, but that's not the reason I was directed to take it this time (in Alaska).

Related Reading: kidney failure | NSAIDS

Comment from: Granny1456, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years Published: February 20

I'm not going to rate it! All I can tell you is that my newly wedded husband had started taking it 10+ yrs ago and had a heart attack less than a yr. later. The ventricles had ruptured. It was not associated with the qualaquin at the time. He had a Dr. Duck, if you catch my drift. And none of the doctors caught it later that he had been taking it. He was implanted with a pace maker/defibulater about 7 yrs. ago. and has been suffering from the painful eczema, easily bruised, high blood pressure and several other. It was only recently that we discovered the effects when his perscription insurance would no longer cover qualaquin. (his ex-wife was trying to kill him, she's a nurse) My husband is 62 yrs of age.

Related Reading: heart attack | eczema | high blood pressure