Questran User Reviews

Questran - User Reviews

Questran User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Questran sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: kkRN, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 15

I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis 2 years ago & could not tolerate the 5 ASA's. My new gastroenterologist suggested cholestyramine, 9 grams twice a day, & it began working immediately, even though it can take 1 -2 weeks to work. Before I had diarrhea 5 - 15 times a day, along with cramping and bloating, even on a very carefully controlled diet. Now I have 1-3 bowel movements per day and am free of discomfort. My only concerns with this medication, as with any medication, relate to the long-term side effects.

Related Reading: colitis

Comment from: bj, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 23

Just started Questran about two weeks ago for IBS diarrhea. It has worked pretty immediately, but couldn't stand the sandy taste. Have been mixing it with pineapple juice and it is a LOT easier to take.

Comment from: ShirlM, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 12

I Too was prescribed this medication after having my gallbladder removed in 1996. I don't care that the taste is chalky it is a great trade off after all these years of being afraid to eat or drink anything, especially when it is a social situation! After so many years I actually feel normal again. What a wondeful change, I didn't think there was help; but there was in fact, life after gallbladder removal.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 24

I had suffered with chronic diarrhea since having my gallbladder removed in my 20's. I am now in my 50's and over the years it just got progressively worse. It was to the point I had to schedule errands in between what I considered safe bathroom breaks. I found myself staying home as much as I could. I could not go out to eat with friends because I could not even drive a 10 minute drive to get home without making a mad dash to a bathroom. Anywhere I went, the first thing I looked for was the bathroom. It was becoming difficult to work. My co-worker happened to watch Mystery Diagnosis one night and came to work to tell me it sounded like what I had. I read the info on the internet and was surprised how the lady had the same symptoms as I did. I called my Dr. and asked if I could try this medication. It has truly given me my life back. I take it once in the morning and once at night. I mix it with apple juice. I wouldn't dream of ever stop taking it.

Comment from: 08cubf, 65-74 (Patient) Published: November 26

i hate taking this medication, but it has helped me control my fecal inconstinance

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 14

HAVE HAD PROBLEMS SINCE GALL BLADDER REMOVED FOUR YEARS AGO. HAVE ONLY BEEN TAKING MEDICATION FOR ABOUT A WEEK AND ALREADY HAVE SEEN A MARKED IMPROVEMENT. I HAVE NOT HAD EVEN ONE DIARRHEA EPISODE SINCE I BEGAN TAKING THIS MEDICATION. THE CONSISTENCY LEAVES A LOT TO BE DESIRED. BUT IF THE LONG TERM USAGE GIVES ME THE RESULTS I HAVE GOTTEN THUS FAR, I WILL GLADLY CONTINUE USING IT. SINCE I HAVE SEVEN OTHER DAILY MEDICATIONS THAT I NORMALLY TAKE AT NIGHT, I TAKE THE QUESTRAN POWDER FIRST THING IN THE MORNING WITH ORANGE JUICE. I WOULD CERTAINLY RECOMMEND GIVING IT A TRY TO ANYONE WHO SUFFERS FROM CHRONIC DIARRHEA.

Cholesterol Management

Tips to keep it under control.