Renagel User Reviews

Renagel - User Reviews

Renagel User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Renagel sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: avidlearner@yahoo.com, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 08

The Renagel seems to lower my Phosphate levels sufficiently, but I am experiencing Frequent heartburn, especially in the mornings. Nothing like waking up with burning sencations in your chest!!

Related Reading: Renagel | heartburn

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 21

I've been taking Renagel for all 8 years I have been on dialysis. I seem to require 5 tablets with a typical meal of protein to control my blood phosphorus level. I have had no apparent side effects. My pharmacy has switched to Renvela so I'm taking the same number of those tablets. It is very expensive, about $1.80 per tablet. I didn't want to take Phoslo as long term usage can lead to calcification of different organs.

Related Reading: Renvela | Phoslo

Comment from: Believer , 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: July 05

I find that taking Renagel 800mg, I get constipated and rectal bleeding occurs, I take two tablets after each meal which results in possibly 6 a day. Bright red blood comes with bowel movements and sometimes makes me feel like I need a bowel movement.

Related Reading: rectal bleeding

Comment from: Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 15

Have itching that is bad enough to drive yove you nuts. The side effect no one informs you of. Does not seem to be effective and DR.just increases dosage.

Related Reading: itching

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 18

I have been taking Renagel to control high phospherous due to kidney failure. The medicine is very expensive and ineffective. when the Drs switched me to Phoslo my phospherous level dropped to acceptable levels

Related Reading: kidney failure

Comment from: jessie, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 08

Im writing this review for my grandmother. Renvela is WAY better folks! Grandma's phos. level doesn't change at all hardly with Renagel. Basically, it's cheaper, but it sucks. Renvela will bring your phosphate levels right on down. Switch to that if your taking this stuff! A bonus: most patients on Renvela have NO side effects while renagel gives heartburn and takes away the taste of food! I never heard of Phoso though. Maybe I might hint at grandma to try that. Anything seems better than ineffective Renagel.

Comment from: From TX, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 04

My husband has been taking this med for approx 1 month. It has helped lower his phosphate level, but he has had frequent nausea & vomiting. Has also complained about the taste of food changing since he began this med. He is requesting to be put back on Phoslo.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 24

By Doctor

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 21

I believe this medication has been a source of constipation for me.

Related Reading: constipation

Comment from: martyost, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 07

Not always effective. Works better when used with Alumin. Hydroxode liquid.