Restasis User Reviews

Restasis - User Reviews

Restasis User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Restasis sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Bright eyes, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 20

I began using Restasis for dry eyes at my optometrist's recommendation. I have had Lasik surgery and persistent dryness prior to the surgery. The Restasis drops were very expensive, and my doctor told me to use the vials multiple times, which I did (the directions say use them only once). The drops burned my eyes, blurred my vision and gave me a bad runny nose and post-nasal drip. I contacted the manufacturer about my problems and they advised me to immediately discontinue the product. The pharmacy would not refund the $90 I spent, so I wasted my money, my time and caused worse dryness to my eyes. I now use an HLA supplement for dry eyes and it is working great! I also use Bion Tears, which works much better than Restasis did for me.

Related Reading: Restasis | dry eyes

Comment from: Annie39, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 26

After reading many reviews about the terrible burning and cost of this medication I thought I would share some tips. I was lucky to have a very well informed eye doctor and staff. They told me to use the holder in the starter kit-refrigerate the vials so they burn much less-open the vial, use in AM-place opened vial in the holder-which holds it upright-back in the refrigerator to use again in PM. They said a representative from the company told them to do this. This system works very well for me-I use the butter dish compartment which has a cover-keeps it clean. My eye doctor was very pleased at my last checkup after I had been using Restasis for several months. Much less abrasion of the cornea. It still burns a bit for a few minutes, but I have been able to drastically reduce the amount of lubricating eyedrops during the day. Still use Bion tears at night. Unfortunately my eyes are still very light sensitive.

Related Reading: burns

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 30

Had Eye burning from start. After 3 days burning/eye pain continuoued all day. Blurred vision got worse. Swelling under-eye; could not sleep; throat pain. Arthritis flare-up (painful small red bumps) in fingers after 3rd day use. Called Dr. Discontinued use. Pharmacist advised that drug can impact immune system; therefore I believe arthritis flare-up in hands. Using Gentile gel for severe dry eye and optive drops now; no side effects from this. Has anyone else experienced arthritis pain flare-up? Are side effects listed above more frequent in older patients? Can anyone tell me what is in this med. that causes such side effects?

Related Reading: sleep | Arthritis

Comment from: mdgower, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 23

I seem to be having unusual feelings of mild pain in my neck glands. Have no idea if this is one of those hidden side effects. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen. It stops when I stop the med and returns when I use it again.

Comment from: Alexandra, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 20

My eye dr told me to use a single vial for a.m. and p.m. dosage--of course, taking precautions to avoid contamination. I used the drops for a couple of years and then noticed the burning upon application returned worse than when I first started. The burning lingered and became a problem with my work, so I stopped using it for several months. Having 2 new boxes left, I started using Restasis again a few weeks ago. The last few days I have had a burning sensation at the back of my throat. I had this problem awhile back when I was on Restasis and did not associate it with the drops. My family dr diagnosed it as acid reflux at that time. I began drinking PH balanced water, as I was told it could help acid reflux. The burning sensation,went away; so I assumed the water was indeed helping. I did not associate the burning sensation at the back of my throat w/Restasis. A few weeks ago, I stopped using the water and about that time started using the Restasis again. The burning sensation at the back of my throat has returned, and I am wondering if the drops are irritating my throat. Does anyone have any input concerning this?

Comment from: TL of Indy, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 05

I wish I'd never started using this. My opthamologist prescribed it. I was only told the TV commercial version of side effects (I was never told anything about Immune problems). Upon my first few months of using Restasis, my eyes burned, I had uncontrolled eye twitchings, feelings of being in a fog or haze, very painful head & neck stiffness and last of all throat pain. It was not worth taking. I told my doctor my symptons and he did not believe me. He said none of the symptons were on a list of side effects he was given. I had stopped taking the Restasis. He asked me to try it again. Against my better judgement I did. I was in side effect hell. I stopped taking Restasis, stopped seeing that doctor and I am still visionally dryed eyes, blurred eyes, have arthritis in my neck/back of head and I had neither of these before I started taking Restasis. I would very much like to sue but no money, but if a class action suit is started include me in on it.

WebMD Daily

Get breaking medical news.