Restasis User Reviews

Restasis - User Reviews

Restasis User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Restasis sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: KateN05, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 14

These drops made my vision so blurry I couldn't drive. Since it has cyclosporine in it which is an immunosuppressive drug which raised my blood sugar level very high (I'm diabetic). So anyone who has a blood sugar problem shouldn't use it. It also gave me nose bleeds. Since it does suppress the immune system it probably explains why some people on here are getting infections in their eyes. I quit it after a few days and my pharmacy gave me my money back....maybe they know!

Comment from: mizunderstood, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 12

The side effects I have experienced: burning, itching, redness, blurred vision and runny nose, are far worse than the dry eye problem I was previously treating with over-the-counter natural tear replacements. The medication is very expensive and is not worth the price or the discomfort for me. I was unable to return my unused vials at the pharmacy. I'd recommend researching this product thoroughly and asking your eye doctor questions before spending money for the drug. I believe my thyroid condition and menopausal state contribute to the fact that this drug didn't help me; take these factors into consideration if you are considering using Restasis.

Related Reading: itching

Comment from: paix, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 03

I have been using Restasis since it became available which is several years. Other than an occasional burning sensation, I have had no problems. I have severely dry eyes. Doctor says on scale of 1-10 that mine are 9. Always shake the the container. I then lay down, blink after applying and keep my eyes closed for a minute and a half. I do reuse the container to save on cost. I cannot function without this medication.

Comment from: Icanseeclearlynow, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 11

For years, I was suffering from dry eyes and had eye pain, blurriness, and difficulty opening my eyes when I awoke in the morning. After a few days of using the Restasis, I have noticed a huge improvement. I no longer use eye drops throughout the day or gels at night. I have a slight burning sensation after inserting the drops, but it doesn't last long. It really helps to press on your tear ducts for about 1-2 minutes after inserting the drops. This prevents the drops from getting into your sinuses, which can cause your nose to run.

Comment from: Kirk, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 03

I have been on this medication for 6 months. It took about a month to notice a change, but now my eyes feel much better, and I use OTC drops less. Keep the vials in refrigerator to reduce burning, notwithstanding the directions for use, use one vial for both AM and PM use. The drug company is covering itself by directing to use two vials a day. The vials have a cap that can be snapped back on after use. Why would they do that if it is supposed to be thrown away? The 12 hours apart dosage is somewhat problematic.

Comment from: NKL, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 21

The Restasis is working for me. Before starting I read many of the comments posted here and had concerns about whether it would work. But so far, I've had no problems. I have very dry eyes and over the counter eye drops were not working. My doctor, an optophthalmologist, was concerned about dryness in the eye because it could lead to blindness. He wanted me to take Restasis. But before starting me on it, he had me take steroid drops for about a month. And told me it owuld help the Restasis to work better. When he gave me the prescription for Restasis, he told me that it would take 4 to 6 weeks before I would notice any difference, to continue to sue the steroid drops and to continue using over the counter eye drops as needed, especially at night. Last week, the doctor checked my eyes and no dry areas. I'd been on Restasis for two months. The amount of over the counter eye drops has dropped considerably but I still need them occasionally. My doctor told me that it take three months for the Restasis to be operating at full strength and to keep taking it “ it was working and he could see it when he checked my eyes. That's the reason I only gave it four stars for some of the items. After a few months, I'll update my experience. I mentioned to my doctor that the Restasis burned a little. He suggested storing it in the refrigerator and said that his patients told him it reduced or eliminated the burning sensation. I haven't tried that yet. I have a very good eye doctor. I was higly recommended to him by my ophthalmologist when he retired. Anyone who has questions about how long it takes Restasis to work or whether it is working should ask their doctor.

Related Reading: blindness

Comment from: herliv, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 30

Burning was present each time for approx. 1/2 hour. Very expensive. Could not sleep and I could not figure out why I was dizzy! then I read the other reviews! Doctor never mentioned any side effects! Remembering every 12 hours was very burden-some. I quit using it, have all but one vial used and $300.00 later! Hated the experience and the cost.

WebMD Daily

Get breaking medical news.