Risperdal User Reviews

Risperdal - User Reviews

Risperdal User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Risperdal sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: D's Mom, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 19

My 15 year old son was put on Risperdal two years ago as a mood stabilizer, he had a horrible, violent hair-trigger temper punching holes in walls, throwing furniture, and wasn't even allowed to attend his regular middle school, he had to be taught off-campus due to constant explosions directed towards staff and students. Thank God for the Risperdal. He rarely even gets angry anymore, and I'm no longer afraid to confront him if he's behaved negatively. However, the weight gain has been enormous. He's grown a lot height wise, but the weight gain isn't in proportion. He's an athlete, lifts weights 5 days a week and works out with his track team every day. The problem is he's now 300 pounds, at 6'5", and he gained so much weight so fast he even has stretch marks on his waist, hips, under his arms, his shoulders, etc. His size is great for football, to a certain degree but not so much for basketball, as the extra weight really slows him down. He eats healthy, but enormous amounts of food. If not for the weight gain, this would be the perfect medication for him. Kids have started teasing him, even though he's a popular athlete at his high school. His success in school can only be attributed to being on Risperdal. We've had to gauge what's more important here, and since he was basically headed for a life of crime and juvenile detention centers followed most likely by life in adult prisons, we'll take the weight gain.

Related Reading: Risperdal | stretch marks

Comment from: jglover0014, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 02

My son has been on Risperdal .25 MG since being diagnosed with ADHD last year in kindergarten. Although this is now used in a complete regime of other medications and therapy, I am pleased with how it works for him. It helps him to control his anger outbursts and helps to keep his emotions "even" through out the day. The ONLY bad thing we have experienced is weight gain, he has gained 20 lbs in one year. However, he is not considered obese or overweight, it is an issue for parents to keep an eye on.

Related Reading: ADHD

Comment from: 3-6 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: September 27

It's like night and day. My son was out of control when he was not on this med and is able to control himself better now that he is on it. Besides all the weight he has gained, it's been a wonderful thing for him.

Comment from: 3-6 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 22

My 4-year old has been prescribed this for his mood-disorder. He has been less angry and less violent. He is very emotional though. Instead of raging out, he cries more. He definately has an increased appetite. Overall, I would say that this is a very effective medication for him.

Comment from: xoyoullneverknow, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 09

this medication has worked wonders for my depression i am under control and able to go on with life again like i never thought i would but the side effects are very upsetting please read this i was an all a's student in high school i dont remember multiplacation anymore if you ask me a question it takes me way more time to respond than it should it has slowed down my thinking ill be speaking and i forget what i said at the begining of my sentence i cant remember events that have happened ive forgotten all my childhood memories my doctor told me this was not a side effect but now im reading that other people have this probelm im begining the weaning process tonight if you have this side effect your not alone and dont think your crazy like i did it has caused me to loose all my self confidence and feel unworthy in this world i feel as though i will never suceed or acomplish anything i was going to be a doctor school became to hard for me that i had to start taking online classes thank you eveyone who wrote in and also the lactation was not nice...

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: lp3333, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 11

Years ago I was falsely diagnosed with Schizophrenia. I am spiritually inclined, and my doctor was an Atheist. He made it very 'clear' to me that angels and god were fabrications, and false clutches, and there is no proof that my beliefs could be real. He also stated that imagination and faith are not healthy 'choices' in this world. I was suicidal at the time due to non-faith based problems, but pressures and events at that time of my life that built up to severe depression. But, he used his prejudice to diagnose me and ignored the real reasons I was in danger. I needed help for the events that happened to me, not medication for *one* sentence I uttered about prayer. It sounds like a made-up story, I assure you it was not. This is an issue I have with the sector of psychology that assumes God is a mental illness. I am a colorful creative person, and he used his gray-stoicism to counter my beliefs, rather than help me. If you are indeed, schizophrenic or have dementia, this pill will work, since my great aunt took it for her dementia, and it helped. But if you are diagnosed WRONGLY this will make you even more depressed, despondent, zombie like, and coupled with prozac, I gained 55 lbs. I had a trainer and was on a diet, and still didn't lose the weight, which made me MORE depressed. It wasn't until I went to a new doctor 2 1/2 years later, that I was avenged. She saved me, told me I was GROSSLY misdiagnosed, and dangerously over-medicated. (he had me at full dose Prozac and 90% full dose Resp.) Nightmare. PLEASE PEOPLE. GET SECOND OPNIONS. It could save your life!! You are never 'married' to any doctor, regardless if they make you feel like they're the only one you should see. LEAVE THEM if you are doing everything correctly, and still are getting no results months later.

Related Reading: Schizophrenia | mental illness | dementia