Risperdal User Reviews

Risperdal - User Reviews

Risperdal User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Risperdal sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: a1shif, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: July 30

My son took this medication when he was 8 years old for behavior symptoms which were eventually diagnosed by a team of doctors other than the prescriber as Asperger's syndrome. At the time, it did help with disruptive behavior but mostly because it caused fatigue. My son gained almost 40 pounds, had breasts beginning to develop, and abnormal liver function tests. Whenever he was 16, last year, he suddenly developed abnormal liver enzymes which couldn't be attributed to anything else- every test short of biopsy was performed. And suddenly he started to gain weight- so much that he now has severe stretch marks. All of this happened 8 years after stopping the risperdal and returning to his pre-risperdal weight. I am very concerned about what even psychiatrists such as my son's previous pediatric psychiatrist are giving to kids. He is functioning much better on nothing but behavior modifications. He just graduated at 17 and made a 25 on the ACT. I'm just not sure of the long=term effects on children and I don't think anyone in the medical community truly is either.

Related Reading: Asperger's syndrome | fatigue | liver

Comment from: allisonacres, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 31

My son was angry, aggressive, irritable, depressed, totally not loving or happy at all, nonstop energy and did not need much sleep, and woke up several times each night. He started this medicine and within 2 days he was amazingly better. He is almost 7 and is on .5 mg twice per day. If we skip a dose, it's obvious, as he's angry and irritable again. When he's on it without missing a dose he is happy, loving, appropriately energetic, sleeps through the night. He still has a full range of emotions and is very caring and loving and social. It has made a tremendous difference to our family as things had gotten very bad and he had even talked about leaving the family and suicide a couple of times. He was on a higher dose (just .5 mg more) and he started having trouble swallowing, so I took him off it for a week while we decided what to do. All his psychological symptoms cam back within 2 days... His psychiatrist wants him to stay on it but I'm vigilant for any swallowing issues and I will give him Benedryl at the first sign of anything. He has oral dyspraxia also so he already had difficultly with swallowing and breath control/cooridination, so it's hard to say if it's the Risperdal or not. He has gained weight, 8 pounds so far, but we are trying to develop better eating habits!

Related Reading: suicide

Comment from: Aalliieemarie, 13-18 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 20

I was prescribed Risperdal when I was put into the hospital for a suicide attempt when I was 9. The doctors did not take time to review my symptoms when I was admitted, so I was put on the drug almost immediately after admittance. As it turned out, I had severe OCD and moderate mood issues, NOT schizophrenia as they had thought. After being put on another medication, the Risperdal was STILL not working. 2 years later, I started going to a different psychiatrist, and he FINALLY got me off the drug. The problem was now, not my condition, but my weight. I had always been underweight, but during the 2005-2006 school year, I nearly doubled my weight, going from 65lbs to 120. I was bullied because of my weight, and eventually it got so bad that I was homeschooled from late 2006-mid 2009. 5 years later, I am a freshman (back in the public school system) and still have not recovered from the side affects of Risperdal,I am now almost 140 lbs. This drug did not work for me, and (even if they did have schizophrenia) I wouldn't wish this medication on ANYONE, even my worst enemy.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 24

I was given this drug for depression in addition to paxil ( which works very well). this drug caused me to have EPIC hallucinations and night terrors.... I actually body slammed myself through a bedroom window because there were "demons" hovering over me. I was convinced I slit my wrists and called my mother and asked her how long it would take me to bleed out. I locked myself in the bathroom for hours because there were "people" in my yard coming to "get" me. I had 30 minute conversations with people who weren't even there! STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG!!!

Related Reading: paxil

Comment from: 3-6 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 20

my son is a patient that takes risperdal. He was not diagnosed with having ADHD or ADD he just seems to have fits of outrage and really bad temper tantrums. The drug has been very effective in maintaining his temper but he has recently begun to have problems such as a weak bladder where he sometimes urinates on himself. I don't know if this is a reaction of the medicine or if it coming from laziness on his behalf.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 24

This drug is not good for people with depression or autism. I actually hallucinated while on this treatment, it did not help me think clearer I believe it made my condition worse. And I felt more paranoid than anything on this treatment