Ritalin LA User Reviews

Ritalin LA - User Reviews

Ritalin LA User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Ritalin LA sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: sparklineyz6@hotmail.com, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: November 11

I Have already posted on here about my 6yr.old son he is now 7 and been on ritalin LA for 8 months now.I hate when people say don't give your 5,6,7 yr.old medication their to little. But I think as parents we know them better then anyone else does and we know when they need a little help controlling themselves.Belieive me giving my son meds was the last thing I wanted to do. This medication helps him get through school and have good evenings at home. I have no complaints. He eats, he sleeps, and he isn't a zomby like the other medication vyvanse made him. He gets a good 7-8hrs out of it and slowly comes down in the evening. he's on 30mg and thats what seems to work for him.

Related Reading: ritalin LA | vyvanse

Comment from: daisey826, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 12

My daughter was 5 when diagnosed with ADHD. She started on Ritalin LA as her first medication attempt a few months later when school started. She did good on it for a while. We got up to 30mg daily but instead of the 6-8hrs promised, she usually got a good 5 usable hours prior to coming down. She was arguementative about homework at night unless it was done right after school (which we started doing w/my mom). She developed a very loud, annoying and very disruptive verbal tic. (Think throat clearing loud enough to hurt your ears within 3 feet of her). So we are switching to Strattera to try it and we'll see. The Ritalin was pretty good though, she complained of stomach pain sometimes and I think that was the medicine. But overall, no weight loss (just smaller gains than prior on the growth chart but it remained consistant) normal growth rate, appetite was less so for lunch but good the rest of the day. She did SO much better in school and her ability to concentrate when it was working was great. An overall good improvement, but the tic thing was an overwhelming side effect that was detrimental to school and social situations. I think the tic was brought out from stress, but, am not sure. I'm hoping she will do good on the Strattera, but it bothers me there is no other way to treat this that doesn't involve potentially mood altering drugs.....

Related Reading: ADHD | Strattera | Ritalin

Comment from: Robin, 7-12 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: April 07

It helps my son concentrate better during school but by the time he gets home, it wears off and then we spend 3 hours doing homework that should take only 30 minutes. So I have to give him a 5mg pill to help through homework and then doesn't want to go to bed and doesn't sleep well.

Comment from: sparklineyz6@hotmail.com, 3-6 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 23

My 6yr.old son has been on this medication for a week now and seems to be doing ok. a lot better than he did on vyvanse. the only side effect I see is that at lunch time he does not eat. so far so good. no depression no insomnia no crying.(all with which we had with vyvanse).

Related Reading: depression | insomnia

Comment from: 3-6 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 20

My daughter has been taking this medication for about 6 weeks. The difference in her school performance is amazing. She can stay on task much better and her socialization has improved greatly. The only side effect so far is she gets very emotional in the late afternoon(crying/whinning), but this seems to be improving somewhat. We are pleased with this medication as our first ADHD med.

Comment from: GoGoSarah, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 03

Love It! It is the miracle drug that I have always needed but when younger refused, if only I knew! I can focus now more then ever. I once was not able to study with ANY noise around and now the TV can be on no problem. I was on 10 mg twice a day and now I'm at 20mg. I do not have any side effects other than great energy and the ability to focus on homework and work. Its great it has improved every aspect of my life. I am careful of not taking it 3 hours before bed because it does take me about 5 minutes longer to fall asleep. Drink a pop around the peek of my medicine working has helped an nervous feeling that I have. With that in mind this helps me have all the positives and none of the negatives of the drug. If your thinking about taking this drug, just do it becuase you will never regret this.

Comment from: Jimrobert, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 01

I began taking this medicine when I was about 17(20 now) and I would be very careful giving this medicine to younger children. It alters your personality as well as helping you focus and stay on track with your activities. It does not substitute for a good work ethic or diligence however, those skills must be trained not drugged. This medicine does give an extreme drop off after approximately 6 hours after the dosage and is rather rough on one mentally. Almost as if you were watching one channel of tv and suddenly someone else grabs the remote and switches channels without your control. I felt I needed to post because I read of so many VERY young children being given this powerful drug and I believe that discipline must first be attempted before jumping into giving your 5 year old drugs.