Ritalin User Reviews

Ritalin - User Reviews

Ritalin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Ritalin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Dina, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 21

The Magic Pill if you actually have ADHD/hyperactivity. I was Diagnosed 3 years ago after being advised to do so by a colloge professor. Thank God I did. I had immediate major improvement on day 1. I started on the non time lapsed dose and it made me crash hard;I would end up with headaches. I loved the effects, but the headaches were becoming daily problems. My doctor put me on the time lapsed pills and I have been good for over a year now. I graduated high school with a 1.2 G.P.A, barely getting by. Stupidity was acceptance when it came to my self image. I am currently in college finishing up my degree with a 4.0. G.P.A. Not bad considering I was expelled from my first high school and maintained less than C average most of my life. It causes some jitters at first, like way to much coffee jitters, but that subsides over time. It pulls your focus so you stay in 1 lane at a time by filing your thoughts. It feels good to finally see your mind as a gift instead of a curse. Afterall, we are some quick thinkers, so just imagine being able to organize all those precious thoughts to be saved for the right time and place. Good Luck!

Comment from: plovell, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 20

Ritalin has proved to be a life altering treatment for me. The drug itself may fall into the "bandaid" category of treatments, as opposed to your atypical SSRI anti-depressants, but I would not consider it to be overly addictive neccessarily, such as is generally the case with Xanax and other benzodiazepines. Quite honestly....to sum it up....Ritalin has the ability to restore a hapless depression patient to full, lucid cognetive abilities, and even enhance such capabilities beyond societies accepted "norm."

Related Reading: Xanax | benzodiazepines | depression

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 07

I've been taking Ritalin for 2 wks and it has worked wonders for me. I often get very overwhelmed at work and it has stopped. I take it as soon as I get to work and again 4 hrs later. I take 10mg each time. I have notice I tend to get head aches a little more when I am NOT taking it. I started getting a tic in my cheek today. I also take Celexa for depression and I feel like it has even made a difference in the depression, in a better way. It has not effected my sleep. I can sleep on this medication. I wish I would have taken this medication when I was a child because it has made such a big difference in my life. I needed this medication a long time ago.

Related Reading: Celexa

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 15

My 6 year old son had problems all through kindergarten with focusing and sitting still. His teacher wanted him tested for ADD/ADHD. So we took the Conners Check List. Then we got a second opinion from a child psychologist who then diagnosised him with moderate ADHD. He had started Ritalin 4 months ago. He is taking it twice a day at 10mg ea. He is much calmer and more focused now. He enjoys reading more then he did be for. All I can say it has worked for us.

Comment from: Sleepyhead628, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 23

I have Narcolepsy, and used Ritalin for 13 years. The best description for this drug is "A Rollercoaster" Up and Down! The upside: The drug works quickly! in 15 to 20 minutes I was ready to go. It kept me alert, and when I got the proper sleep, works very predictably, and is easy to take. Now the downside: The drug is very ADDICTIVE! I was on a very high dose (20 MG 3 X's per day)and when it wore off...WATCH OUT! Not only were the Narcoleptic symtoms of tiredness coming back, but I was also "Coming Down" After many years my wife and I determined that arguments between us occurred most frequently when I was due to take my medication. I was "Coming Down"! The medication IS MOODS ALTERING! After many years I noticed it had an effect on my nervous system, that included muscle spasms when falling asleep (Medium severity)and an extreme sensitivity to certain loud noises when tired. Hands clapping when I was tired, could send me through the ceiling. It was a rollercoaster. You went up fast...and came down hard! I know this because I was "Weaned" off of Ritalin to Provigil. It took me 6 weeks to "De-Tox" For my family...it was hell! Daddy is reducing his meds today....STAY AWAY! After about a year off the drug, The muscle spasms stopped, and the sensitivity to noises mostly sub-sided. Awareness to these facts are important. Now do not get the wrong impression here. If other drugs are not do-able, for whatever reason. For the person with Narcolepsy this drug is a GOD-SEND! It works! It's better than a life spent fighting to stay awake...and failing. But awareness of the side effects will be a tremendous advantage. Take it from someone who has 13 years of knowledge.

Related Reading: Narcolepsy | muscle spasms | Provigil

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 07

I have suffered with clinical depression for most of my life, but since the "prozac" type drugs came on the market, have had control of most depression symptoms. However, the SSRIs don't seem to improve my feelings of physical "heaviness" or my fatigue. Having ruled out most other common causes of fatigue, my doctor prescribed Ritalin for me. It has worked like a charm. Even in very low doses, I no longer feel heavy and tired during the day. I've only been taking it for a few months, and have never stopped, so I'm not sure about the withdrawl problems or whether I've developed a dependency on it. I've forgotten to take it a few times (weekends) and never noticed any problem.

Related Reading: prozac | fatigue