Ritalin User Reviews

Ritalin - User Reviews

Ritalin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Ritalin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: jonjk85, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 21

I am 24 and was diagnosed with ADHD as child. I was on meds when I was younger, but at around 12 stopped taking stimulants. I am in college and the lovely distractedness has reared it's head after so many years. I am back on ritalin and couldn't be happier. My grades are improving, I can concentrate, and I feel calm all the time.

Comment from: califloria, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 30

I am in my mid-40s and have been on Ritalin for 5 years. I started taking 20mg twice a day. I am now on approx. 180mg to 240mg per day, My doctor has me on 160 mg/per day, but sometimes I take an extra one for my dosage. I have chest pains, hives, blurred vision, paranoia, panic attacks, horrible anxiety, lack of motivation, my social life has gone down the toilet, i feel like i'm going slighty crazy once in a while (a minute or two ever couple days). I don't know what to do or how to cut back or stop. I don't have insurance because my individual Blue Cross plan when from $350 to $550 per month, this month. I cannot wake up in the morning w/out it. I feel like I might die and I don't care a whole lot if I do.

Related Reading: hives | panic attacks | anxiety

Comment from: alwayslateral, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 26

I was diagnosed with Adult ADD when 2 months ago. I started on the standard 5mg twice a day. After about 3 days I could notice a big difference in my ablility to focus and concentrate. After a week I moved up to 10mg twice a day and then 10 mg three times daily. I experienced some of the side effects; dry mouth, not hungry, sleeplessness, racing pulse and higher blood pressure, tiredness. Sleeplessness AND tiredness, well after taking the first dose you hit your peak after about 1-2 hrs and then come back down(crash) which tires you out, take the next dose and go back on that rollercoaster. I finally figured out how to space my doses out so it would be worn off by the time I needed to get to sleep and for me that was taking the last dose by 3pm so I could hit the sheets by 10pm. I hated that roller coaster ride so I talked with my doc and he put me on 20mg extended release that I take twice daily. The effect lasts between 4-8 hrs. I get up at 5am for work and then go to night school and am home by 930. Long hours to be needing focused and the extended release is the perfect fit for me. If the effect is wearing off too fast ask about the extended release and you will be a lot happier. I do get a slight headach but goes away after eating.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: krb3311, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 06

I have severe obstructive sleep apnea with severe hypersomnia and have been under treatment for 8 years with Ritalin. Recently, I have had an accident and have been off work. I decided to stop the Ritalin while not working. I did not suffer any withdrawal symptoms; however, I did experience a return of the severe hypersomnia, would fall asleep several times a day without my CPAP and developed hypoxic headaches as a result. I am a RN, and while I would prefer not to have to take any drug, life without the Ritalin has not been satisfying.

Related Reading: sleep apnea | hypersomnia

Comment from: MinaO, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 10

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 25 years old. It finally explained my "oddness," if you will... : ). My Dr. started me out on Adderall XR @ 1st and it worked wonders, but gave me severe, daily headaches. I already suffer from migraines as it is, so that was terrible! I went off the adderall and on Zoloft. I then went about a year without any meds. I failed the state Bar exam both times I took it AND work has been a NIGHTMARE! My co-workers are always questioning my speed on work (not fast enough, not productive enough, etc...). I always feel like a failure at the end of the day! I recently started taking Ritalin and I can focus extremely well, I WANT to study for the bar and can actually sit through long sessions without being extremely bored. Downside? Sleep. Not getting any. Hence, writing in here at 2 am, when I have to be up at 6:30. : )

Related Reading: Adderall | Zoloft

Comment from: worried fiance, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 13

My fiance has been the one taking the ritalin. He has had all the typical ADD problems all his life but has just recently started taking it. The only problem is, he has a tendency to abuse drugs. Last month he went thru 30 of them in one week. This month I am distributing them to him, but if he found them I know what would happen. I do believe they help him, but it brings back too many memories of his "cocaine" days. He doesn't sleep well and tends to keep me up. I'm just not sure how to handle it, whether I should talk to his doctor or if his doctor would even talk to me. I'm worried.

Related Reading: cocaine