Rocaltrol User Reviews

Rocaltrol - User Reviews

Rocaltrol User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Rocaltrol sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 04

I have had hypoparathyroidism for almost 20 years. This drug has literally saved my life. I'm glad that there's now a generic version, simply for cost reasons. I see my endocrinologist every 6 months to get bloodwork done and see if my dosage needs 'tweaked', but rocaltrol is truly a wonder drug.

Related Reading: hypoparathyroidism | rocaltrol

Comment from: PatF, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 04

Around 1994, I requested this drug for my mother who had severe osteoporosis. Her GP prescribed it and renewed the prescription but didn't tell me that my mother needed to have blood tests to monitor this medication. She became delusional and couldn't walk. My brother put her in a nursing home. I removed her and took her to a gerontologist who did blood work. She was rushed to the ER. The rocaltrol had bound calcium up in her system. Her kidneys were about to calcify. It took about ten days for them to flush this medication out of her system.

Related Reading: osteoporosis

Comment from: peg, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 31

I took it twice for low calcium from my parathyroid surgery. It kept my calcium up, but I had a very painful headache over my right ear. And I had a metal taste in my mouth.It was awful. So I went back to taking lots of calcium pills. I thought I had a tumor in my head. Had mri and it was fine, so the only thing I was doing different was the calcitriol. So I stopped.

Related Reading: headache | tumor

Comment from: mitsar24, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 17

I have been taking this med since I had my thyroid removed 3 years ago. I had cancer and when they did the cancer surgery the thyroid was removed and my parathyroid should have taken over and it didn't. If it weren't for this drug my body would be numb and I would have muscle spasms constantly. It has been a lifesaver!!

Related Reading: cancer | muscle spasms

Comment from: Siriusmind57, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 19

I took this medication for 35 years. This drug saved my live. My Parathyroids were removed during my Thyroidectomy. I'm thankful I have found an alternative that I don't have to take it anymore. I'm very thankful it was there when I needed it.

Comment from: jynana, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 06

On day 2 of starting Calcitriol for a research study, I became more and more tired, till on day 5 I was exhausted. Also, my (usually controlled) arthritis pain became intolerable. I stopped the drug and already in 24 hrs, I feel so much better.

Related Reading: arthritis

Comment from: Sonflower, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 16

I am 9 months post opp of a "Complete Thyroidectomy/Parathyroidectomy Tumor Removel" My three remaining Parathyroid Glands are dormant, therefore I am lacking PTH. Without PTH, one is unable to absorb calcium. I take Calcitriol, in place of PTH, for calcium absorbtion. This drug is literally a life saver!!

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 20

I have been ill since taking the drug. How do I get it out of my system? It has been over 7 months.

Comment from: Sutherngurloo7, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 22

I am writing to see if the makers of calcitriol can help me fiancially for I am on disabilityand the med is expensive. Please help me. Sutherngurl007@hotmail.com

Comment from: lassiestar, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 01

Side effects -diarrhea. Lowers parathyroid hormone from 94 to 72, and Vitaming D increase to 40, I think.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Weight Loss Wisdom

Get tips, recipes and inspiration.