Rowasa User Reviews

Rowasa - User Reviews

Rowasa User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Rowasa sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: compromise, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 21

Rowasa is effective, stopping flares within a couple of days for me, but now my doc wants me to use it EVERY night! An enema every night. Oh, joy. That'll cramp your love life! He said I can use 1/2 the bottle, or can hold it in for only 15 minutes, if that is the most I am willing to do. I took Lialda for a year, and it caused more diarrhea. Just switched to Asacol. We'll see...

Related Reading: Rowasa | Lialda | diarrhea

Comment from: pregoncemore, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had Ulcerative Colitis for 15 years, this is the only medication that controlls my flare ups. And I was able to use it during both pregnancies without complications or birth defects. I use it every other night, no fun, but it works for me. My grandmother was also recently diagnosed with UC, and this is the only medication that works for her as well.

Related Reading: Ulcerative Colitis | birth defects

Comment from: uk1980, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 21

Sometimes difficult to hold the Rowasa all night

Comment from: krise7228, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 24

I have used this medication in the past for only 14 days at a time. That was prior to my U.C. becoming as severe as it is now. The medication now helped at first but now seems to make me feel worse than I did before, including severe nausea. I haven't used it for about 5 days and have seen vast improvement on the way I am feeling as far as nausea and vomiting.

Related Reading: nausea and vomiting

Comment from: Nightingale, 7-12 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 17

My child with ulcerative colitis was using mesalamine oral that worked to ease her symptoms of bloody diarrhea and cramps for about 3 weeks, her dose was increased from 3 to 4 times a day orally, this did not help. We then tried rectal mesalamine Rowasa for 7 days. The blood was slowed for 2-3 days, by day 5 blood was worse and by day 7 the blood was the worst we had seen yet. She only screamed the at the first rectal enema insertion at bedtime, she then she was afraid to go to bed after that. She would cry for several minutes before she could calm down enough to allow administration on the consecutive nights. In addition to having severe bloody diarrhea after this 7 day course, her hair was falling out. All mesalamine was stopped at that time. In 6 weeks her bloody diarrhea stopped without medications, we stopped feeding her fermentable dietary sugars. Though our specialist stated diet has nothing to do with it.

Comment from: pearl, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 18

I have used this twice for flares of ulcerative colitis. It has worked within a week to stop the blood and mucous and have had no side effects. It works for me.

Comment from: RF, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 11

I have been diagnosed with chronic proctitis {inflammation of the rectum} due to an immune response. I have found the administration of mesalamine to be inconvenient but not impossible. I am able to retain all night, but after Day 14 on a 28-day treatment, I have been experiencing marked flu-like symptoms, gas that wakes me up in the middle of the night and diarrhea that really disrupts my work day. Hopefully, it will reduce/eliminate the inflammation, but so far the side effects are worse than the condition.

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 03

I have crohn's and have has a complete colonectemy...My crohns is mainly centered near my rectum in what is now small bowel. Have been using the Rowasa for 12 days. Symptoms seem to be getting worse. Whats more is with my bowel issues, I cant hold this in for more than about 15 min on average..so I dont know how much it can affect me. When first diagnosed I was o Asacol..after nine months of misery, it was discontinued, and stated that it was making my symptoms worse...so I dont know if Rowasa is really going to work...but I am also currently taking Pentassa..so who knows.

Related Reading: Asacol