Roxanol User Reviews

Roxanol - User Reviews

Roxanol User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Roxanol sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 26

I have chronic kidney stones that just began last year as a result of Ulcerative Colitis. I have been given numerous drugs fom Vicodin, Oxycontin, fentanyl patches, and now morphine solution. It was frustrating finding pain relief until I began taking the Morphine, it was more effective than anything that I took for severe pain, this stuff works within minutes and I can go from being in agonizing pain and writhing on the floor grunting like an animal to at least being a somewhat functional individual. The reason I gave it lower marks on ease of use is because it is extremely strong and can cause you to become really sleepy and while your pain may be gone, you really should be careful while taking morphine oral solution. I didn't realize this at first, but it is pretty apparent after you take it and realize that you have fallen asleep for 4 hours. As far as actually taking the medication, it is extremely easy to take, it's just very strong, and it works better at relieving my pain than I have taken anything.

Comment from: Bette, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 03

My Mom was given this drug following hip surgery at the nursing home. all the nurse had to do was to call the physician and it was prescribed. She was given 38 doses whether she was in pain or not. She was so dopped up that she could not even partake in PT or OT. I was furious when I found out that she was even on the drug. I did not find out until I took her for her post op visit and it was on the meds list. I was her health care surrogate and everything including all meds was suppose to go through me first. The nursing home discharged my Mom early because she was not able to follow commands. Hello, this drug puts you in LaLa land. My Mom passed away 2 weeks after leaving the nursing home. I am telling you this story because I think that the public needs to hear the real truth about this drug. I have paperwork from Doctors stating that this drug has a huge impact on her death. Caregivers beware and ask to see medical records don't just take their word for it because it does not work. This drug makes it easy for the Nursing home industry not to have to deal with the patients. Please understand there are a lot of very good nursing homes out there and after shopping around I thought that hers was one of them. I was wrong and have to live with that. The nurses even took pain assessments of her and stil even when she had little or no pain it was still given to her. All I can say is this is one dangerous drug.

Comment from: Snoopy7601, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 21

I take this medication (strength is 20mg/ml). I have chronic pancreatitis, and I have also had gastric bypass so my stomach is not normal. Taking pills is hard for me as it is, and I absorb liquids much easier. The medication is VERY strong as others have stated. And it works for me. It can be highly addictive, and I have my wife keep it locked up in a safe except for what I need each day so that I don't take more than I am suppose to. It helps me stay safe when I have an attack and that I don't take more than I am suppose to. It is affective on the pain very well.

Related Reading: pancreatitis

Comment from: fedup, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 25

While the drug works effectively, it has been almost impossible to buy this drug. Both chain pharmacies, Long's and Walgreen's, say that the manufacturers either stopped making morphine temporaro;y or even permananently after the FDA's enforcement order. Even if this is just a "scarcity in the market" that can be resolved, it has not shown any indicatiobn of change in 6 or more months. Oxyfast went through the same thing. Where does the FDA get off playing pain doctor?

Comment from: mikesmithfl, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 03

While the pamphlet included with the bottle had loads of info for the doctor, it had nothing for the consumer/patient. Directions of "HOW" to use it and what to expect would be nice. People who are going through something in their life that requires medication like this are usually hit with the "deer in the headlights" syndrome, and it would be nice if the companies that charge so much money for the product, would take the time to print something that would be beneficial to the well-being and comfort of the emotional patient, as well as the physical patient. I'm the caregiver for my wife who suffers from Ovarian Cancer complicated by small bowel obstruction. This oral solution was prescribed for the breakthrough pain that is uncontrolled by her regular pain medication. She has a G-tube for decompression of the stomach and it has worked pretty well to relieve the cause of some of the pain. This oral morphine was supposed to be part of a 3part solution, but it never has quite worked. She's got the 20mg/ml kind, so it's pretty heavyduty, but without directions, we're never quite sure if she's taking it correctly, it hasn't ever stopped the pain - even when taking the full prescribed dose of 1ml (20mg). Getting different directions from different people makes things confusing too.

Related Reading: Ovarian Cancer

Comment from: Melro, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 09

This drug needs to be more strenuously regulated in hospices. My mother was dosed with this for breathing. She was never in any pain. And she is allergic to codeine, which I made clear from the start. I sat with her around the clock to try to keep hospice aides from dosing her after they took her from her apt. to a hospice center without my permission and I was her DPOA. The hospice continued to try to dose her when I told them to stop. Roxanol causes constipation and my mother had a colostomy bag. She plugged up. Quit eating. Her pulse became weaker and weaker and died within 4 days. I'm trying to sue the hospice and Roxanol needs to be CONTROLLED!

Related Reading: hospice | Roxanol | constipation