Salagen User Reviews

Salagen - User Reviews

Salagen User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Salagen sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 09

I was prescribed Salagen oral pills to counteract dry mouth and a persistent cough I may have developed as a side-effect of anti-depressive medications. It did moisten my mouth and throat, but I found that it also caused me to sweat profusely. I also found the amount of saliva that built up in my mouth was slightly uncomfortable, and I had to swallow a lot more than usual. As I was taking this medication while working full-time in an office, I found the sweating to be distracting to me, and off-putting to some co-workers, with whom I generally did not share my condition(s). So the medication did do what it claimed to do, but I found it not to be a useful medication for my particular symptoms and needs.

Related Reading: Salagen | dry mouth

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 03

Prescribed by dentist to counteract dry mouth caused by Zoloft (sertraline) taken before sleeping, Pilocarpine did reduce the dry mouth effect, but it had a side effect of "stealth" diarrhea: liquid with flatulence.

Related Reading: Zoloft | diarrhea

Comment from: st.leonardpatient, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been taking this medication for 1 1/2 yrs and I will often get either an abundance of saliva or it will work very little. It is not a constant, regular effect at each daily dosage.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 06

This med has worked for me. If I take a dose before eating, I don't have to drink as much fluid with my meal. I do feel some hot flashing occassionally and I can't tolerate as much alcohol.

Comment from: RCSutton, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 15

I have a mild case of Sjogrens, and have to be careful not to take too much of this med. I find 2.5mg taken three times daily works pretty well. I do not oversalivate this way, as I can wake up choking on my own saliva at a higher dose. Had to play with it some to establish what worked best for me. Restasis drops have been a godsend for the dry eyes.

Related Reading: Restasis | dry eyes

Comment from: 19-24 (Patient) Published: January 07

Tôi r?t mu?n mua lo?i thu?c ny nhung không bi?t ? dâu bán. Tôi ? Vietnam.

Comment from: midwestcore, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 05

i have found that this drug does help dry mouth, but seems to wear off to quickly after to much saliva at once. also it causes me to do crazy things when i try to go to sleep. like i will catch myself holding my breath and i also have involuntary muscle movements of my legs and arms.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 27

I have taken this medication for 12 years, starting just before radiation therapy. It has worked extremely well for me against dry mouth symptoms. If I forget to take it I really feel the difference.

Comment from: chris731, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 19

I've only been on Pilocarpine for 3 weeks. I haven't noticed that much of a difference. However, lab results show it takes at least 8 weeks for the drug to be effective. But the results show it does work. I haven't had any side effects. So I guess I will be patient for another 5 weeks.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 15

I have sjogrens and have found this medicine to be a lifesaver. Without it I can barely swallow or talk, the only disadvantage is as it wears off. If I take it 4 x's a day as perscribed I do fairly well, although I often wake up so dry I am unable to swallow, then I must take my next dose.

Comment from: muddling through, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 12

While it has worked for me, the sweating and chills especially at night when trying to sleep are very off-putting and I'm not sure if I'll stick with it very much longer. My eyese no longer feel like there is "something" in them and my mouth is definitely not as dry as before but the side effects are too invasive for my liking.

Comment from: Laura Lee, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 08

It works for a few hours but effect is pretty short-term. Does cause some sweating but no other side-effects noted

Heart Health