Sandostatin LAR User Reviews

Sandostatin LAR - User Reviews

Sandostatin LAR User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Sandostatin LAR sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: looking good, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 08

dose. started treatment in november, 2001. continued treatment at every four-week interval since using 40-mg. my liver has many tumors that have been stabilized according to my doctor at m. d. anderson clinic in houston, texas. i have nothing but praise for this medicine.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: Joebo93, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 26

At first I had no side effects, my tumors in my liver with the help of therasheres help shrink them or kept them stable for 2and a half years. But now my blood suger is high, I need to take metformin for that, my blood pressure is high and I have trouble keeping that in check, and I have muscle tenderness everywhere. If I someone pokes me it really hurts. Ive been told could be a side effect of sando or fibromialga, which I never had before. Very confused.

Comment from: cpu_princess, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 21

I started on Sandostatin LAR 8/2006 30mg. I had break thru symptoms anywhere between 3-10 each month. I controlled break thru days giving myself octreotide shots every 6-8 hours. In order to improve my break thru my dose was increased to one 20mg shot and one 30mg every 28 days given at the same time. That is when I believe all my problems started. Hair loss, numbness in both hands and feet, cramps in calves of my legs, my body is sore everywhere. Like the previous review I too hurt when poked! Round red spot rash that comes and goes, sweating, shakiness, severe swelling in legs, feet, face and hands, fast heartbeat,arthritis, enlarged abdomin and depletion of viamins in my body. I eat very healthy and organic but still have to take perscription vitamin B-12 (I give myself 1ml shot every 7 days, folic acid, and iron pills. Also taking 5000 iu of vitamin D. Last blood test shows very low Vitamin D count and while most people only take 1ml of Vitamin B-12 per month I am on the low side of normal taking it weekly. I am convinced all this is caused from the Sandostatin. Is there anything else to try. I feel like I am fighting a war with my body to stay alive every day and slowly I am loosing the battle. JR

Related Reading: Sandostatin LAR | Hair loss | rash

Comment from: loki525, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 13

In January of 2007 I was diagnosed with a 1 cm macroadenoma of my pituitary gland and started on Sandostatin LAR. I'm now getting 30 mg monthly. It has shrunken my tumor to about half of it's original size, my growth hormone level is normal and IGF is still abnormal. I guess it's working but I have developed a number of almost disabling side effects. Joint pain, back pain, lack of energy, fatigue, sleepiness, crushing depression, an abnormal gait and numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. It is now a struggle for me to get out of a chair. I don't know what I'll do if I have to continue on this drug after my surgery. It's been hell.

Related Reading: tumor | fatigue | depression

Comment from: brs, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 13

My oncologist started me on this drug in Oct. 09 and I have been taking monthly injections. My blood work(CgA) is looking much better and my symptoms (painful stomach cramps) are much better. I have noticed my hair is not growing as much. Don't know if this is related. I am happy with this medication.

Comment from: GiuJ, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 03

I started on the Sandostatin LAR injections about October 2010 after surgery removal of carcinoid tumor in June 2010. Overall the injection at 30mg have returned me to normal bowel movements and less flushing episodes.

Comment from: kackle, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 23

I've been getting injections every 4 weeks since 05/09. The first month I didn't see much change, but now my symptoms occur only occasionally. However, within the last 3-4 weeks, I have experienced sore muscles and unexplained weight loss. I have changed diet or exercise, but lost 3# in one week and a total of 5# in the last month. I meet with my oncologist in a couple of weeks and will see what he thinks. Other than that, the drug has helped me lead a more normal life.

Comment from: Ange, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 13

Ange age 47yrs young 2012 - Have been on 4wkly trtmnts of Sandostatin LAR - 20mg since 2000 - slow release octreotide has helped minimise the effects of the cancer and impact it has on my overall health.. flushing and toileting. I am fully aware of the side effects associated with any medication used has risks. I personally have not hesitated to continue with this ongoing treatment.. aches pains rashes hair loss mass weight loss/gain all part and parcel of managing the symptoms as they arise.. Getting on with it loving life to the fullest.. :)

Related Reading: cancer